Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Technical Tips & Tricks > Hardware > Other Hardware

Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Interesting Thread

I am in the process of purchasing a new Laptop. Any suggestions on the specifications to use. My desktop has an I7 980x overclocked to 4.56ghz and 12gb, Gamer Video Card ATI 4870 x2.

The above configuration is extremely fast, I am trying to make the laptop to be the same. Would love to hear of anybody with the above configuration on a laptop, specially power consumption and cooling.

Thanks
Elliot
Old 06-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

If I thought I had any advice of value to offer you, I would not hesitate to do so. But I am sure there are many others who can offer a qualified insight.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Downloads: 0

Hi Tuddi

I build my own computers. At about one every 6 to 8 months. These home assembled are tweaked to the max, with water coolers and including accelerating the video cards. I use them for 3D renderings and they need to be fast.

Last month I tweaked my laptop and changed the multiplier. For the new Laptop I am almost decided on a Sager which is a Clevo laptop. This laptop will have:

1. Windows 7,
2. I-7 980x Intel CPU
3. Quadro Video Card with 2gb Video Ram
4. 12gb Ram @ 1333mhz.
5. Raid 0 with 2 500gb 7200 rpm drives
6. 500mb 7200 rpm data drive
7. 17 Inch Screen

My current laptop have similar specifications but with generation earlier CPU. The problem with this Laptop is that at this component level it is not a Laptop anymore, it has become a portable desktop replacement at 12 pounds and a screen of 17 inches. But..... I love it when I go on my trips, I have a "desktop" with me. I use these things with AutoCAD MEP, 3DS Studio, Revit, SolidWORKS and the Adobe CS Suite. They great with Flashificator and FPP.

The last desktop computer I built it is super super super fast unit. I am trying to do a fast laptop but I wonder if anybody have had experience with doing a fast laptop on a smaller footprint.

The current laptop I have has Vista Ultimate 64. It originally had Windows XP SP2. Upon changing to Vista Ultimate 64 I definitely see some improvement. At the office with the desktop I have Win 7 and there is a definite improvement with speed.

Some of the issues I have are with the Video Card. On the desktop I have an expensive Quadro 5800. I have another desktop with similar specs and on the second one I have a gamer video card that cost 75% less than the Quadro. The gamer card Radeon ATI 4870 x2 is perhaps the same or better than the Quadro super video card. I heard there is a new ASUS ATI 4970 x2 about to be launched that has 6 monitors and has been overclocked.

I heard there are some laptop assemblers that are accelerating these Intel I7-980x to 4ghz without compromising the cooling.

Some of the programs that I have that make use of the hyper-threading of the 6 core I7-980x they do fly on the desktop. All the other software are faster as well.

I have no knowledge of software or programing, however, I wonder if we can make PtGUI, FPP and FFC to use the multi-core - hyper-threading and have them yield faster speeds.

Any comments would be appreciated.....

Regards
Elliot

Last edited by Elliot; 06-13-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 PM

Downloads: 2

Hi Elliot,
Try to customize Asus G73JW here, at Xoticpc.com web page:
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jwa1-...wconfigure=yes

U can have i7 940 extreme with 16GB RAM 1333Mhz, 2x 500GB SSH (hybrid, very fast) HDD drives + usb 3.0 port. Asus G73 has one of the best sophisticated cooling system - try to look at:
http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...asus+g73+g73jw
VirtualGuide,NGo

http://www.virtualguide.sk