Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > Showcases by FPP users

Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Ground Zero -- Madison, Wisconsin

Some of you may have heard about the protests in Madison, Wisconsin at the state capitol. The Republican plan to destroy public unions isn't going over very well with said unions or Democrats in general. The number of protesters grows daily. Saturday saw some 70,000. Based on all the right and left wing commentators as well as news coverage, this is becoming a significant point in American history.

Thing is, all the photos, video and news stories can't give a feeling for what it is like to be there at this "turning point in history." Nor can they truly convey how massive this movement is. So I decided to create some 360VR images that do. Enjoy.

Ground Zero -- Madison
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node
Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Really impressive, Scott!

I could actually feel my pulse increasing and myself being carried away as if I had joined the movement. The sound is also excellent and it certainly contributes very much to the experience.

Thanks for sharing,
Tommy
Old 02-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 1

Hi Scott, those turned out exhalant!!!
Nice work on the images along with very clear audio, gives a very nice impression of being there.

Did you do them in HDR with 3 shots?
Looking at the outside pano with the shadow, looks like maybe you're using a tripod with a long center column and possibly a 360Precision head.
For doing them fast I'm guessing you where turning the center column by hand for 6 shots (times 3 for HDR) and then one up (times 3) with the pano head.

Roger
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 AM

Roger, Tommy,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, i did 3-shot HDR. But as you might imagine, with people movement blending different exposures was very difficult. I ended up using the best exposure for the people levels. I reprocessed the RAW for an ISO boost for the shadow exposure. That resulted in two different "exposures" from the exact same image so they stayed in register. I then used a darker exposure(s) to blend in the brighter upper areas of the capitol building. That didn't move much despite all the bumps to my tripod. Should have had a pole!

There was a lot of masking and some hand work so everything would look right blending four around and one up. In all but one image I created the nadir by hand.

Yes. 360 Adjust. I was really disappointed when I realized the shadow fell on clothing and would be far more work than it was worth to remove. Grrrrr. So much happening so quickly with so little control on my part.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:31 AM

Hello there Scott!

Congratulations on this coverage! I very much like your work! ... pictures look great, faces are freezed and expresive, and the sound experience adds a lot to it ... you really are an FPP ambassador! .. thanks for sharing!

And thanks for those litlle tricks too!

In these sort of situations I normally do 6(x3) x 2 or 3 extra rounds, with sigma 8mm on non-FF, to have enough material to chose and patch from ... which makes it very tedius in the end ... even more if nadir and cenit get involved! I am about to upgrade to tokina 10-17 on FF to try to get some more quality and maybe less shots. What lens camera combo did you use?

I guess that rotating with the lens while shooting must have been quite dificult in some of the locations! ... and moving around with all the hardware too! How high were these shot from? 2m?

I too wonder how you did the recording ... I have recently been experimenting with sound and have been recording it with a canon-g9. Then ripping and mp3ing it to play with FPP. I wonder if for a background sound this is enough. Are you using any special device for recording?

Sorry for all these questions! ... but I like to learn from one of the masters! ;-)

regards,

Antonio
Old 02-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Antonio,

While I shot four around. Some views had more than one sequence to draw from. In the opening view parts of the balcony were drawn from three separate sequences.

I use a Tokina 10-17 and my trusty Canon 1Ds. Way "old" and way heavy but it still does the job.

Moving around was a chore but I just kept saying, "Excuse me. Could I just get in there for a minute. I need the view from here. Carrying a big, professional camera gave me a lot of clout. And everybody was very accommodating anyway.

The camera was about 7' above the floor, so maybe just over 2m.

I use a Zoom H2 for sound. For the money I don't think it can be beat. The new H4 is definitely better but something like twice the price.

(Love your fashion event, BTW.)
----------------------
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 1

Yes, it would be hard shooting 6 round, but with the sharp high quality and beautiful colors, I had guessed you where using a Conon 15mm lens.

I know all too well about crowded places, you can see me using my pole in this shot:
http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/roger_sonepur.jpg

A couple of times I was being pushed into the river.
I went down to the river and back a few times squeezed between the crowds, it's just a mass of slowly moving people where you are caught in the movement. I soon learned to closely follow one of the elephants as they went by.

I must say I would rather be in this crowd than a crowd of politicians and protesters.

Roger
Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 PM

Fantastic work Scott and good for you (and everybody else!) for being there. It may not be Cairo, but enough is enough!

Keep up the great work!

Kelly
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
I know all too well about crowded places, you can see me using my pole in this shot:
Just barely! You aren't immediately obvious in that crowd.

I forget where I said it but I almost rather wish I had used a pole. I still haven't set up a good one.

Of course your work with crowds is remarkable. I have learned much from studying your work.

Quote:
I must say I would rather be in this crowd than a crowd of politicians and protesters.
Now, Now. They were ALL very civil, polite and accommodating. This is the Wisconsin, afterall
----------------------
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the info Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Witte View Post
I use a Tokina 10-17 and my trusty Canon 1Ds. Way "old" and way heavy but it still does the job.
That?s nice! I'm waiting for my shaved tokina now ... I'll use it on 5D with a ring ... This new set is going to replace my "old" sigma 8mm f4 + ring + 400D ... this way I hope I?ll improve in speed & quality at not too much extra weight ... happy to see such a nice example done with tokina!

Quote:
Moving around was a chore but I just kept saying, "Excuse me. Could I just ...
I can imagine! ... looking at the nadir of the balcony takes it doesn't seem there was to much gap to acommodate you moving out of the action without a few "excuse me"s ... if you know what i mean!

Quote:
The camera was about 7' above the floor, so maybe just over 2m.
I have been quite sucessfull with a modified reversed manfrotto monopod (682B + last section of a 681) and a table top tripod to get at about 7' ... (you might see a pic of this "light" rig here)

Quote:
I use a Zoom H2 for sound. For the money I don't think it can be beat. The new H4 is definitely better but something like twice the price.
uuuuuuuuh ... that actually looks like a nice toy to me! ... I shall keep it in mind! ... thanks for sharing!

Quote:
(Love your fashion event, BTW.)
Thank you Scott! I like this kind of 360? coverages. I find them quite challenging and hard to stich, but results + sound make then definitely impressive.

I am just thinking how could the publishing stage be speed up so that it could fit into the so called web 2.0. Livepanoramas (by DorinDXN at panoguide) has some nice features in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Roger that is a very nice picture of you in action! ... any chance we can see the resulting pano?

thank you guys!

regards,

Antonio