Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > Showcases by FPP users

Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Museum in 20 languages

Just finishing up one of the larger projects I have done. This is the first time we have done a tour in 20 languages. Currently, all but 5 are up. Just a little warning about this tour, it contains very religious material so please be aware of this and/or use the volume control on the mp3 player.

http://www.tenboom.com/en/index.html

Thanks for looking.

-Terry
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

Tooltip over DA (Danish) reads "Danske" ... it should be "Dansk"

That's the only thing I could put my finger on this time ...

Huge project... incredible feat!

Did you use the updated hotspots plugin? (more precise on the transitions and other timed events).
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 1

Congratulations Terry, you outdid yourself again!
You really know how to put together some nice tours, with each one outdoing the one before.

Roger
Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Downloads: 2

Terry,
very nice tour!
VirtualGuide,NGo

http://www.virtualguide.sk
Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Terry, great tour. As usual much love for every detail. My full respect!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Downloads: 5
Thumbs up

Congratulation Terry !

I really love to see such great work !

Thank you for share !

Respect,

Christophe
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM

Will add a bit of salt to all the praises.

1. No way to see your tour in Firefox with debug version of Flashplayer.
By the way - same on your regal360. After third crash on front page, gave up. So, can't tell about other tours there.

2. On 1024x768 monitor, IE (the lowest window in default settings). I think, we can't not forget about +/- 20% of visitors.
Monitor resolutions worldwide and by regions here
http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolutio...012-201102-bar

mp3player cover partially Info button
Some higher photos, you can open, are higher than window (text partly, or not visible)
It's possible to open several photos in same time. In result - first will dim background, second will lighten it again, next will dim, etc
Text - 15. Ten Boom Exterior 2 - cover big text in center, Same 19.
Some other minor things

By my subjective visual preferences navigation buttons are too big and bright compared to relatively dark tour. By my opinion they take too much attention and power off from main - the tour. My eye is continuously jumping to buttons down there, how much I try to look at pano.

Hope you take my thoughts as constructive criticism. Wrote it all in hope to help to make good tour perfect.

PS. In Finnish (language) - Suomalainen - mean: Finnish person
You should use - Suomeksi - mean: in Finnish language

Regards,
uudu
Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Thank you all for the criticism and the kind words.

To address some of the issues... I fully admit that I have not accommodated the 1024x768 screen resolution. Not because they don't exist but because I don't see any real benefit in accommodating to the lowest end of the spectrum when our technology self evidently targets the other end. I could be wrong but I am willing to live with that.

Yes the clickable points can be made to load multiple clickable points at one time. I don't know of a way to make this fool proof but I would hope this is an anomaly and that it is not intuitive to click multiple hotspots without closing the one you are on. You are the first to report this but you may have been looking for issues and not casually browsing I am not sure?

The visual/design of the tour is unfortunately far past the point of no return but I appreciate your feedback. I did not realize the navigation was distracting but everyone sees things differently and your experience is certainly valid. Next time I will share a project while it is in development so I have the chance to address issues like that.

I am mostly concerned about firefox crashing on you. This I can only assume has to do with Pano Cocoon encryption of the xml as the tour itself was built entirely in FFC. Is this the first time you have seen a project crash in Firefox or have you viewed other tours encrypted with pano cocoon working properly?

Thank you for the Finish translation error, I was given translations from a different company but it appears they have made a mistake.

Again thanks for taking a look, feeback is valuable to me.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 AM

Hi Terry,
In case of 1024x768 resolution, I still disagree with your point of view. About 20% is too big number. As you could read from other posts, many of us think even about real minorities - iPhones, and other iDevices. With good and well thought design we can make tours working, and visually not distracting on all main monitor resolutions. As you could see from Stats next big group is 1280x800. Not much higher.
One big problem is of course photos or other elements, what we open from tour. Personally, I decided not to go over height 540 pixels. When need to add text, will put it beside. Or make scrollable. There are also other ways - smartscale, Tommy's plugins...
As a tool, when I design the tour, I use Firefox addon - Web developer. There you can add screen resolutions and force the window resize to this. So can always see, how the tour looks on 4 or 5 main monitors.

I had recently client who tested tour in all possible (and impossible) ways before delivering. He found the issue with opening several photos. What could I say? Sure, it must be fixed. We never know what people click next. Murphy's law.
One simple way - make group, on clicking on spots make group buttonMode=0, on close reverse. You can add to this group, what you don't want to be used, while photo is open, any spot in tour. Including thumbnails to next panos and such.

About crashing Firefox with debugger version of Flashplayer. It's very sensitive about code errors. Sometime Flash Tracer (second great addon for Firefox) is just whining, but allow to continue. Your tours crash Flashplayer completely. I see it often also in tours of other people here. Not 100 % , but often they are made with FFC.
I am hand coder myself, so can't make tests about validation of code, made with FFC.
Anyway, I don't finish coding until it validates. Then, when use Pano Cocoon to encrypt xml - everything works. I don't think, PanoCocoon is the evil. Most likely it's code. Sometime also third part plugins. (extensibleMeter was one of them)
uudu
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 1

I spent some more time looking around at the tour and found this.
On these links I get "The webpage cannot be found"
NO - http://www.tenboom.com/no/index.html
SE - http://www.tenboom.com/se/index.html
IT - http://www.tenboom.com/it/index.html
GR - http://www.tenboom.com/gr/index.html
On this one "ID" the button does not work and I can only see Bahasa Indone on mouse over, until I open the tour up full screen, then I can see Bahasa Indonesia.
The mp3player is partially covering Info button until I open the tour up full screen.

This is from viewing it on an older 17 monitor here at work.

Microsoft Windows XP
Windows Internet Explorer 7

Roger