Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 AM

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default help with migrating

Hi all!

I produce virtual tours for 1,5 years. First I used Easypano, however as (many of) You know there were a lot of bugs in their new releases...Because of that I started to look for something better and I found Immervision. As far as was able to understand it I started to produced some tours. Finally I found this nice piece of SW and by looking at examples I understood that it is far far better that any other sw. With so many features it has it is incomparable to all I knew till now (I tried also other sw, the mentioned I have bought).

However now I need Your help to migrate to this sw platform. Deer flashpanorama users, I need some several answers for my questions (I think it would be nice for many others (new coming)):
Untill now I produced equirectangular images - by my stitching in PTGui, publishing as .PSD , then exporting as .jpg - mainly cylindrical, some sferical also. Here I noticed the .mov and cubic projection is preferred and I need help with this.
I know that PTGui has possibility to export as .mov, but I need it process by Photoshop first.
Until now I made pictures about 1 - 1,5 MB big (4000x2000). I was very satisfied by using pureplayer (its quality). It adds some extra sharpening, but the result is satisfying and file is not so big.
I tried to get the same quality by Flashpanorama sw., but was not able to ... First thing is that .mov files are very big. I tried pno2qvtr but the same .jpeg, which by Pureplayer was very nice played had 1-1,5 MB, as mov has 2,5 - 3MB what is too much as some people still has only slower internet connection. AM I doing some mistake? After the remaking in photoshop should I export as .tiff or .jpeg and then transform to .mov inpano2qtvr ?

Second thing is that (it seems to me) that pureplayer plays the panorama smoother, many times while looking at Your examples I have the feeling like it was very heavy wheel I should turn around. Is this the thing only of some adjustment?

Thanks for the help,
Regards, Igor
Old 10-27-2007, 11:42 AM

Downloads: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Mixed

Igor,

You may want to produce tifs and then convert them with pano2qtvr. In pano2qtvr you can change settings to produce mov files with various degrees of quality and filesize.

The pureplayer and FPP are both made in flash and I don't think there is much difference in quality between them. The difference is that in FPP you have more options to tweak. You can change options like friction, inertia and others that contribute to the smoothness of the movement. Read the documentation and experiment yourself in order to achieve the results that suits you best.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:47 PM

Default So which are the riht steps?

Hi,
So what should I do to get the best imaginary while small file sizes. I use 900x300 size viewer with the possibility of full screen (optimized let say for users with max 1600x1200). (4000x2000 for spherical images was quite enough for using with PurePlayer)
1.What size of image do You recommend to export by stitcher? (Should I make larger images and in next steps more compress, or not so large, less compression ? Or use some sharpening???
2.In stitcher I would export as .PSD for some additional remake in Photoshop. Should I export in .tiff then?
3.In Pano2QTVR - what image compression do You recommend?
4.Should I make one .mov file or 6 cube faces for using with flashpanorama?
5.What about cylindrical images?

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Downloads: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Mixed

Igor, there is not recipe for _the best_ image with small file sizes. This is relative to the viewer, to the user who views it. What I like, you might not like. It's a subjective matter. That's why I'm saying that you must play yourself with the settings until you find some that you like, and also you might want to consider your audience download speed.

The size exported by the stitcher has nothing to do with the size of the mov file. You might want to export at the highest size and quality, it's always easier to downsize than to upsize.

If you want additional tweaking then export it to PSD, make your modifications and in the end save a TIF file.

At the pano2QTVR step is exactly where I'm saying you should experiment. In case you didn't do it, watch this tutorial: http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?kid=tutbv02
Then play with the settings...

FPP can play mov files as well as 6 cube faces and stripes. I think it's your choice how you want to play the panorama in FPP. There is no "should"...
If you're targeting multiple panorama players you might want to use a common ground as the file format feeded to the player.

P.S. I think the admin of the forum might wanna move this thread to Panorama technique, since this discussion is very little related to FPP...
Old 10-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks Mixed for the help, now I have little time so I?m experimenting.
I think it?s master piece of software. While I?m tried to understand the basis I found it much easier then immervision pureplayer coding.
Thanks Denis for good work!
Regards, Igor.