Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > Plugins discussions

Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Motion Zoom Transitions are here!

The Motion Zoom Transition Plugin page is up and open for business.

Motion Zoom Transition gives an impression of moving through space from one 360VR node to another ?€“ sort of as if you were walking from one spot to another -- very quickly. It does this by assembling a series of still photos, zooming and cross fading between them.

This first release version has the ability to pause in mid transition. That is useful to give visitors an overall view of a room before moving to the 360VR node inside. It can also be used to pause mid stream to briefly view some feature or moment. Those familiar with transitions in the British series "Hotel Babylon" know how cool that can be.

Some call this transition style the Easypano effect, but Easypano, at least all the examples I've seen, requires that all transition elements be assembled into a FLV file. That means you need a way to create a FLV. It seems to require a lot more overhead. To keep file size manageable they resort to really low image quality. It also seems to take more time as you load the player, load the FLV and finally wait for the next pano to load when you reach the end of the transition. By contrast Motion Zoom Transition uses a series of still images, easy for anyone to make, with lower overhead and better quality.

Still to be done is an improved method for turning corners more smoothly. The current method is OK but can certainly be better.

The distribution package includes full documentation, example transition images with a before/after comparison so you can see how they are made, and a PTGui template for pulling rectilinear images from a fisheye. That is my preferred method for creating transition images using the same lens used to make the 360s.

Near as I can tell KRPano, Panosalado and Pano2VR have nothing like this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can see a demo and purchase the plugin at the Motion Zoom Transition Plugin page. Price is $30, a one time fee.

Hope this is of interest. I've been getting a lot of mail about it lately.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node

Last edited by Scott Witte; 04-26-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to discocandy Send a message via Skype™ to discocandy

Scott asked me to test the plugin and I love it!!
Here is a first test with it.

http://www.kandiefoto.nl/panorama/st...our/index.html

Implentation is pretty straight forward.

Great work my friend!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 AM

Great work, Scott!

And it seems to be pretty easy to implement, which is an important factor when it comes to making plugins or other add-ons - I know how difficult that can be. And when it looks easy - it is probably well done.

Tommy
Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Many thanks Tommy and Freddy
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 AM

Downloads: 3

That's a really nice and interesting pluguin

could we have the option for flv transitions in next updates ??
combined with cache pluguin that would work like a charm....

and with some system like this one we could even work more smooth and awesome....

I did some test few time ago but I had the problem with fullscreen and also a little waitting time after the flv was reproduced....

Also I think it would be extremlly useful to make a transition effect that uses the same pano for gennerating the image transition, zoom in actual photo >> zoom out next photo,,,just like the google street view transition, that I'm almost sure they did not create a flv for every transition... This would be the more effective way as no need of extra images to create the effect, of course corners would generate a big problem but in many cases we have linear transitions....

So having the choise to select one of this 3 options for generating the transition would became (IMO) a must have pluguin for every tour

just my 2 cents

Last edited by jordi; 06-11-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

flv plugin has been made on this end. It brings the option of full screen video transitions.

I would like a few added features to it though, since it is very basic as of now.

It will be built into FFC soon, and also offered as a commercial plugin for non-ffc users.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Jordi,
Quote:
could we have the option for flv transitions in next updates ??
That would be an entirely different plugin, I'm afraid. Since Trausti is working on a FLV transition plugin and when Panosalado gets back up Rick Workman's plugin should again be available, there doesn't seem much point doing it yet again.

There are pros and cons to the FLV transition as I mentioned in an earlier post. My intent was to offer something different here.

I may look at Streetview again. Seemed to me it is a matter of zooming both panos during the crossfade. That proved very problematic when I tried it in 2007(?). I think Corvus showed an example some months ago but I think there were new issues. But again, it would be a very different plugin from the current one so it isn't simply a feature that can be added, I'm afraid.
----------------------
Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Hi Scott

I really like the idea of this transition effect, but can you tell me how many individual images are needed to create a proper effect? Because even though I like the effect, I am not sure I will like the extra time needed to implement the effect in a tour that have maybe 10-20 scenes.....
I am not sure I can justify the extra cost for the time spent making this transition effect... so some guidance would be appreciated <

Regards
<morten
Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Morten,

The number of images for each transition will vary depending on how far one node is from the other and what how you want it to look. A few years ago a cruise ship virtual tour made big "waves" for a transition that was effectively take the start position, apply zoom blur effect in Photoshop and zoom into the image. At the same time take your end position but zoomed out. Apply zoom blur in PS and zoom into the image ending with the start potion of the next node. Didn't matter if the destination node was clearly visible 20 feet away or invisible on the other end of the ship. It remained very effective.

For the Motion Zoom plugin that would take four still images but all would come from screen grabs of your existing panos. It shouldn't take more than a minute of two for each image, especially if you are automating with PS actions.

On the other hand, if you want more the feeling of "stepping" through the distance between nodes, I suggest shooting a transition step image every 10 feet or so using the same lens used to shoot your nodes (usually fisheye). That is for spaces like the example. If you are moving greater distances your spacing will be greater, of course.

Open each step image in PTGui with a template I supply to produce a rectilinear image. From PTGui that can open straight into PS. Apply your zoom blur and save. Again, it should take only a couple minutes each, especially using PS actions.

Obviously it will increase costs just like any other feature you might add to a tour. But the effect really stands out.
----------------------
Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Downloads: 1

I agree it's a very cool affect. I remember seeing one done with quicktime, "dear lord I shudder to think how hard that was" that turned, went down a hall and up an elevator and finally into a hotel room, or maybe I exaggerate. Still it was cool. Some resort in Colorado I think.
Great plugin I think. Everytime I try to think hard about going to krpano, you people keep pulling me back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Witte View Post
Morten,

The number of images for each transition will vary depending on how far one node is from the other and what how you want it to look. A few years ago a cruise ship virtual tour made big "waves" for a transition that was effectively take the start position, apply zoom blur effect in Photoshop and zoom into the image. At the same time take your end position but zoomed out. Apply zoom blur in PS and zoom into the image ending with the start potion of the next node. Didn't matter if the destination node was clearly visible 20 feet away or invisible on the other end of the ship. It remained very effective.

For the Motion Zoom plugin that would take four still images but all would come from screen grabs of your existing panos. It shouldn't take more than a minute of two for each image, especially if you are automating with PS actions.

On the other hand, if you want more the feeling of "stepping" through the distance between nodes, I suggest shooting a transition step image every 10 feet or so using the same lens used to shoot your nodes (usually fisheye). That is for spaces like the example. If you are moving greater distances your spacing will be greater, of course.

Open each step image in PTGui with a template I supply to produce a rectilinear image. From PTGui that can open straight into PS. Apply your zoom blur and save. Again, it should take only a couple minutes each, especially using PS actions.

Obviously it will increase costs just like any other feature you might add to a tour. But the effect really stands out.