Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 10-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Linking a hotspot action to the current pan value

Hi guys,

I have been browsing this excellent forum for a couple of months and up until now, all of the questions that have occurred to me have been asked by people ahead of me on the learning curve...until now. I have run up against something I'd love to be able to do but can't figure out, so enough of my lurking...it's first post time — woo hoo!.

I've embarked on a project where I want to have small panels of text appearing inside a pano — like labels for certain objects.

Thanks to a nifty bit of coding generously offered by allSaints, I have sorted out mouse-triggered hotspots. So far, so good, but instead of fading in and out in response to the mouse rolling over it, is there a way to trigger the transition based on the current pan value? What I'd like to achieve is as the centre of the pano swings past a certain "heading", a hotspot fades in and then out regardless of where the mouse is. I guess if you set the alpha fade times correctly and then spin the pano smoothly, it would create a kind of mexican wave of labels.

I've looked at all the 'onSomething' events, but none of them seem to be able to tap into what must be a global value. Can anyone help?

Much appreciated.

John
Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM

John,

There may be a very clever FPP XML coding method that eludes me at the moment, but my suggestion would be programming a custom Flash plugin. If you cruise over to Flashpanos.com you will find Zephyr's excellent textbox plugin, or at least the skeleton of it, in one of the forum posts. That could certainly be modified to monitor the current pano position and display text accordingly. But you will definitely need Flash coding skills to do it.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node
Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying; I suspect you are spot on.

Unfortunately I'm in the foothills of the FPP learning curve (and still plucking up courage to present anything for 'peer review' here) so it might have to wait until I have the time to pull up the drawbridge and blot everything else out. 'This is a two gin and tonic job...' as my father is apt to say.

I should have said that I found allSaint's solution on the Flashpano forum but there seems to be a more focused FPP effort on this forum (well, obviously!) so it made sense to ask here first.

Cheers,
John