Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default FPP and Youtube videos

Hi!

It would be an exciting new feature to be able to integrate FPP with youtube or any other streaming videos. If I would click on a hotspot, I would get a staticly displayed plugin playing a video directly from youtube. This video should be embedded into a plugin which can display a custom title for the video etc. The concept is to reduce storage requirements of the hosting server of the virtual tour.

Requirements:
- the plugin should not display any promotional videos after the current video was played
- it should not be a temporarily working hack (like retrieving the direct address of flv files using php and htaccess tricks), instead we should integrate the flash video player of the site directly into our custom plugin
- other video upload sites can also be interesting, however the GUI of the flash video player component should be language-independent or in English

My investigation in this topic has resulting in the following:
- youtube: player implemented in as2 instead of as3, in order to communicate with it from as3 to send commands to the player (like autostart playing) would need a javascript layer which is in this case unacceptable
- vimeo: it has a useful secret api, we can hide all unneeded GUI elements, it doesn't play any promotional videos. But I was unable to get it to play newly uploaded videos from an as3 custom plugin, only older ones.

Has someone ever developed something like that?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Default Hmmmmm...

I think YouTube wouldn't like that......
Old 07-16-2009, 04:39 PM

I know the FPP blog site is hard to navigat, lets have a look before you posts, please.

http://flashpanoramas.com/blog/category/site-design/
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Default it isn't exactly what I mean

mediadigital:
I don't think that embedding a video into a flash application is an abuse of any streaming video server. We don't want to retrieve the url of flv or mp4 files, and we don't want to play the videos on our own, instead using the video player flash application of the selected streaming video provider. Naturally we would use the storage capabilities of the streaming server but they would get traffic and visitors in turn, and videos integrated into fpp projects would also be accessible from the website of the streaming video provider.

360vt.co.uk:
The example you have posted contains two hotspots, each loading a video, one from youtube and one from google video. Youtube player isn't acceptable to me since it displays promotions of unwanted videos after the current track has been played. Google video is better, it in fact accepts a few parameters to customize its behaviour (see http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...eo-player.html), but it is also written in as2. As I said, I would need to show the streaming video from a custom as3 flash application (to display titles and more information for the video), not to directly embed the video as a hotspot like in your examples. The custom as3 application would then be used as a hotspot.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbi View Post
unwanted videos after the current track has been played
Think we'd all like to get rid off those...

I don't know that YouTube will allow as3, I know they only use as2 and there are thinking of changing to as3, but I don't know when.

But let me know if you work it out, it would be interesting to see.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Question YouTube

Maybe using google cache you can get direct access to flv from YouTube.
But I am not sure.

Services such as www.savevideodownload.com provide links to the flv file.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediadigital View Post
Maybe using google cache you can get direct access to flv from YouTube.
But I am not sure.

Services such as www.savevideodownload.com provide links to the flv file.
That's a stream ripper. Many of those exist, and youtube and other video services do change their protocols on regular basis, in order to try and stop those from working.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 AM

Default Help with Youtube

I too would like to stream Youtube video, but encountered the following problem:

I got the video displaying fine, however when I try to hide the spot object while YT is playing (url=" "), the video disappears but audio remains playing.

I do not mind the ads at the end, I really wanted to make use of YT's multi-resolution playback selector.

I appreciate any help or idea. Thanks.

Pat L

Tags
fpp, video, youtube