Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Service > Request changes / modifications

Old 04-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

No he did not respond at all to me and it is now 2 months since I started investigating the 10.1 problem. I mailed him twice about it but got no response at all.

Without any insight in flash coding I did not at that time dare to take up this discussion at the Adobe forum.

Hans
Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Well that's terribly depressing but I appreciate the honesty. At least I know where FPP stands at the moment. Thank you for the responses.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 AM

Due to the quantity of people involved, all the third party plugins developers, the lack of comunication and support from Denis, and the dependance we all have on this great software, I believe the best should be to find the way Denis could open the source to the comunity and make FPP a free software.
This is the best for users...
I think this situation is worst than the users with privative Softwares like Apples, Microsofts, etc.. we have our balls on their hands but at least these companies have a good or poor comunication with their customers... With Denis we don't have comunication at all and our balls are tight in his hand!
FPP is privative in the worst way... we are all slaves from someone that doesn't even exist!!! slaves of an entity called Denis, from whom we know about is just a name, an email adress and the admin's nick in the forum, and all atempts of comunication with this entity ends up in a monologue.
He would be like a god... FPP's god. And like all gods, they don't reply their emails.
FPP is perfectly compared with a religion. It has a god, a holly book (just read the tutorials that comes with the software to understand what's good and bad), the flock of sheep (us), a couple of shepherds who study Fpp's words/codes and keep the relogion alive (plugin dev.), and a church -this forum- where we all come to pray.
So what to do???? As Nietzche said, "God has dead". So i don't think that sitting here, waiting a spirit to do something is the best thing.
I don't want to change from religion, i like FPP, so we should go into the Vatican's library, read and take the prohibited books! (that would be a metaphor of the source code =)

Now... what if something really happened to Denis?... maybe he's sick, or he's dead or something...
how can we depend on only one person!!! I love FPP, i want to depend on this software, but i don't want to depend on only one person in the world!!!

ok ok... i'm sorry for all the delirious religious thing... didn't mean to offend anyone!... it's just my mind divagating free, with no filters and making my fingers write what it wants.
but could make us think a little.

Last edited by Aifos; 04-26-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Continuing with the pessimistic theme, what if FPP is truly dead and buried ... this forum itself may close too, assuming it is maintained by Denis. We need to make a contingency plan QUICKLY of where to continue if this forum suddenly disappears without notice. My immediate thought is Flashificator - Trausti, can we use your forum if needs be?
Visionman
Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM

I totally agree with Aifos. With all respect for the hard work of Dennis but letting hear nothing of him is not the right thing. A lot of people here are in the pano business and depending on FPP. In the meanwhile other panoplayers are making serious pogress with in my eyes, better communication with their users.

Clients of mine are demanding things that aren't possible with FPP but are possible with other players. What should I say to them? Wait and be patience? This is possible for a couple of months but not years.
Therefore I did a testride on KRpano and I must admid that I was pleasantly surprised...

Just as an example here, integration in facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/360-VT...9752878&ref=ts

And take a look at the tour this guy has made...
http://albarari.com/dhalia.htm
(check the transition of the house entrance)

All nice things that aren't, as far as I know, possible with FPP.
I'm still a big fan of FPP and I have a lot of respect for all the hard work that Tommy, Scott, Tuddy and others are doing with providing us those nice plugins for FPP.

But as Aifos says, I don't wan't to be dependable from one person for doing business. Especially if there's lack on any kind of communication with the customers.

Yvan.

Last edited by birdseye; 04-26-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 AM

I agree to the points and start investigating in Krpano and if I am right a saw some members of the Fpp forum there - I bet there will be more in the next weeks. But I am still waiting for an probably update of FPP.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
I

But as Aifos says, I don't wan't to be dependable from one person for doing business. Especially if there's lack on any kind of communication with the customers.

Yvan.
Well we have to as almost every single software in the pano business are one man created.
Joost, Denis, Claus, Thomas, etc
With the exception of Autopano and Autostitch they are all one man companies.
Same for most panoheads.

The problem is the communication. If that lacks like with Denis or Autostitch the software will die.
If it is a very large company like Autostitch or one man company does not matter for that.

Hans
Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Yvan

cann't help you with facebook, but the other can be done with some creative mouse overs.
did this in 2 minutes, in 10 minutes you could make it look realy good!!!

http://www.360vt.co.uk/lahc_test/

Code:
<spot id="lancaster01" url="images/lancaster01.png" static="1" align="CC" salign="CC" alpha="0" depth="20" />
<spot id="lancaster02" url="images/lancaster02.png" static="1" align="CC" salign="CC" alpha="0" depth="30" />
<spot id="lancaster03" url="images/lancaster03.png" static="1" align="CC" salign="CC" alpha="0" depth="30" />
<spot id="lancaster00" url="images/lancaster00.png" static="1" align="CC" salign="CC" alpha="1" depth="50" 
onOver="alpha=0,150; lancaster01.alpha=1,1000; lancaster02.alpha=1,2000; lancaster03.alpha=1,3000;"
onOut="alpha=1,450; lancaster01.alpha=0; lancaster02.alpha=0; lancaster03.alpha=0;"/>

Harry

Last edited by 360VT.co.uk; 04-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Downloads: 1

There's nothing special with KRPano and facebook.
Here's a tutorial for that. You only need to create an appropriate sized tour that fits in that spot and follow facebooks instructions for using flash, boxes etc.

http://www.photosurveyor.com/tutorials/facebook/

Quote:
I totally agree with Aifos. With all respect for the hard work of Dennis but letting hear nothing of him is not the right thing. A lot of people here are in the pano business and depending on FPP. In the meanwhile other panoplayers are making serious pogress with in my eyes, better communication with their users.

Clients of mine are demanding things that aren't possible with FPP but are possible with other players. What should I say to them? Wait and be patience? This is possible for a couple of months but not years.
Therefore I did a testride on KRpano and I must admid that I was pleasantly surprised...

Just as an example here, integration in facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/360-VT...9752878&ref=ts

All nice things that aren't, as far as I know, possible with FPP.
I'm still a big fan of FPP and I have a lot of respect for all the hard work that Tommy, Scott, Tuddy and others are doing with providing us those nice plugins for FPP.

Yvan.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Administrator

When I read Denis's response a few months back I took away a completely different message than many fpp users, and I did so without reading between the lines. To me his message was clear, he has other projects occupying his time. FPP is not an essential part of his business like it is to many of us. He is still working on it yes, but doing so at his own pace without the aid of any other programmers.

This thread was started back in SEPTEMBER of 09, and we don't even have a beta out. Denis may prefer not having communication with his community but I fear this is a recipe for disaster as Hans has mentioned. I am all for an open source FPP but that is a decision only Denis can make. My prediction is that if FPP continues down this path of no communication and no development it will soon fade into the background with other players quickly taking the lead. We dodged a bullet with flash 10.1 but without an actively developed player we may soon find our old projects obsolete or unplayable with upcoming releases of flash.

I have faith that someone will step up to the plate if Denis does not. But it would be a shame to loose all the hard work that many of us have put into this wonderful player.

-Terry