Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 PM

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default How to display cube faces as they are loaded?

I'm using separate cube faces (2000px) for my panos. When I load a pano it seems the loading bar gets up to about 90% before the tiles are actually shown. I tried using loaderStreamed=1, which did what I wanted, but the pano loaded extremely slowly.

I think that maybe when I don't use loaderStreamed, each tile shows up as soon as it is fully loaded, but the front tile is the next to last tile loaded, which is why the loader has to get to 90% before anything is shown? If so, is it possible to change the order the cube faces are loaded in so that the front cube face gets loaded first?

Or is it possible to get loaderStreamed working at an acceptable speed, or is there a plugin available that does a similar job?

Thanks

Dave
Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Downloads: 0

Hi Dave

2000px is large, I use 1400 to 1600px images, but it is the Megabyte size that matters. I try to keep all six images 2mb.

But you will find that most people use a low res set of images to load first and then load the larger hi res images.

You can see this best at this link as the low res images are black and white, all six are 278kb in total.
http://www.360vt.co.uk/Newark_A1_Footbridge/index.html

Harry
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 PM

There is only one way you can get fast loading of cubefaces exactly as you want it.

Use QTVR and tile them in 3x3 tiles. Set the direction the same direction as you have done it in the QTVR and you have very fast loading.
You need to use loaderstreamed =1 of course.

You can see it at panoramas.dk.
Well not the last one which is another way of loading fast?

Hans
Old 05-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Downloads: 1

Thanks both for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansNyberg View Post
There is only one way you can get fast loading of cubefaces exactly as you want it.

Use QTVR and tile them in 3x3 tiles. Set the direction the same direction as you have done it in the QTVR and you have very fast loading.
You need to use loaderstreamed =1 of course.

You can see it at panoramas.dk.
Well not the last one which is another way of loading fast?

Hans
Reading the various comments on this forum about cube faces vs. movs and using loaderStreamed with movs, I was under the impression that using movs with loaderStreamed was quite a bit slower than plain cube faces. However, your site works well, so I took your advice and converted my panos to movs (luckily I don't have many panos on my site yet). They do load a bit slower than the cube faces, but I think the tradeoff is probably worth it.

I couldn't see any way to split each cube face into 3x3 in the PTGUI converter, so I used Pano2QTVR to convert the equirectangulars to movs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360VT.co.uk View Post
Hi Dave

2000px is large, I use 1400 to 1600px images, but it is the Megabyte size that matters. I try to keep all six images 2mb.

But you will find that most people use a low res set of images to load first and then load the larger hi res images.

You can see this best at this link as the low res images are black and white, all six are 278kb in total.
http://www.360vt.co.uk/Newark_A1_Footbridge/index.html

Harry
Hi Harry

Your preview works well and loads almost instantly, but personally I prefer the mov method Hans suggested.

Thanks also for the suggestion on the file size. I understand the need to keep file sizes small on the web, but with increasing display resolutions and improving broadband speeds, I have decided to try and go for a relatively high resolution.

The converted movs seem to be between 2MB-4MB, which I know is heavy, but they load pretty fast on my internet connection (up to 8Mb). I'm hoping a browser based pano viewer will be developed for smartphones (PTViewerNG looks promising if mobile browsers had WebGL enabled), then I can create a smaller version of my panos for mobile and low bandwidth users.

Cheers

Dave
Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Hi Dave

That's the beauty of FPP, there is always two or three ways to do something similar. And it is just what works for you.

Just remember that you may have good internet access and a hi spec computer. But what does your client have. I always try to find out what they are using, because it is most important that it looks good on their system.

As for mobile panos, there is a couple out there, I tried one for the iphone. but did not think much of it.

Harry
Old 05-02-2010, 12:59 AM

DJ

loaderConsecutive=1 will make your first tile load first and you also have to have the transition set to visible. I use this on my first pano in the tour so the user immediately see something, and then cache the rest and use fade transitions for the other pans in the tour. I wish you could use fade ins with visible but havent found a way to do that.