Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I think that I was, and still am the confused one...

Improving the panoramic one mighty fine plug-in at a time: http://www.flashpanos.com
Old 06-28-2008, 04:24 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

I do tend to try the most difficult solution first, so it could well be me...

Haven't heard from nmendes, so won't know if we (I) have confused him too.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Witte View Post
I'm pretty confused here but I'll give this another shot, since I have done something like this. Let's first define "stage". When you create the hotspot SWF it has its stage and I think that is the one you are talking about. Some elements like a menu are off that stage and you don't want them visible. But when the hotspot displays in FPP all graphic elements from the hotspot SWF show, including those that were "off the stage".

Is that correct? If so, that is simply how it works. The only stage that matters is FPP's stage from what I can tell. If you want some things hidden in the hotspot SWF then turn off their visibility, change its size, hide it under other elements of the hotspot... that sort of thing.

Or am I still not getting it? Maybe you could post an example so we can see what you're talking about.
Scott, you're getting it right. It seems that the "parent" stage of FPP is all that matters, and we've to apply different techniques (like playing with the visibility of the elements) to accomplish some tasks, but we've always to keep in mind that the size of the "child" stage is the imaginary rectangle that outlines ALL the elements on and off the stage inside the SWF, and this is important when you want to do things like slide in/out elements within FPP.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleifr View Post
I think there is some extreme confusion going on as to what "stage" means here. Let me take a stab at this. Inside the swf that is being loaded as a hotspot, you have some items that should "slide out" or "slide off stage". And when you run the swf by itself that works fine, but when they are in FPP the areas that should he hidden are showing?? Is that right? And if so, then the thing you need to do is set up a mask in the hotspot-loaded swf, so that when it is in FPP everything outside of the masked rectangle becomes magically invisible.

Zephyr
Yeah, I've tried that, but then you still have the same problem with the coordinate values (x's and y's), because they refer to the "Main" or "Parent" stage that is FPP's when you load the SWF as an hotspot.
In my case it was something a bit annoying because I had a SWF that had to work inside and outside FPP (a floormap) and I didn't want to make 2 copies of it.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheathamlane View Post
Hey Z:

Yah, setting up a mask is a great idea... but it doesn't get around the fact that "stage" is going to refer to the topmost container's stage -- (snark: I had no confusion about stage... ) -- or that x/y references might get skewed accordingly.

Even if you set up a FLA so that it's pasteboard only shows what you want it to show, stuff "off stage" in that FLA is going to annoyingly become visible in a container FLA whose stage is larger.

Masking = good, easy solution & probably all nmendes needs.

Sniffing Stage via AS = more difficult solution, but much more flexible in the long run.

cheathamlane: Ditto. , getting the Stage size was how I solved the problem (it's not a FPP problem but a Flash standard behaviour to be fair).

Thank you all for your insights!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmendes View Post
...but then you still have the same problem with the coordinate values (x's and y's), because they refer to the "Main" or "Parent" stage that is FPP's when you load the SWF as an hotspot.

...but we've always to keep in mind that the size of the "child" stage is the imaginary rectangle that outlines ALL the elements on and off the stage inside the SWF, and this is important when you want to do things like slide in/out elements within FPP.
Forget about the stage. In this case it is totally imaginary as in "doesn't exist". Don't put anything "off" the stage.

To do things like move one element of your hotspot relative to another just worry about that. For instance set/change your menu.x value relative to you map.x value. (Or is it map.X value? But you get the idea.) That works whether your SWF displays as a hotspot or freestanding.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node

Tags
floormap, hotspot, stage, swf