Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > Panorama techniques

Old 05-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Lens upgrade

Hello

I use a nikon d70s with a sigma 8mm f3.5. I display at 1500 cube face which results in images betweeen 700k and 1.5Mb

I want to increase image quality without increasing image size so Im thinking my only option is a new lens. So what're the option: nikon 15mm, sigma 15mm? What's best?

Currently I shoot 4 images. How many would I need for a 15mm lens with this camera? Im not too bothered about zenith and nadir as on 95% of images they are superfluous to my clients' needs.

What about shooting landscape rather than portrait? Would this enable me to keep it down to 4 shots with a 15mm lens, but then I guess the VFOV would be too low? I do need some vertical height but only enough generally to get the ceiling edges in.

Many thanks

Masten
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Downloads: 5

hello Masten,

You can choose the 10,5 mm from nikon. I use the tokina 10/17mm and i think that the both are the best. But there are maybe some different opinions. We will see it in the next posts !

Regards

Christophe
Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Hi Cristophe

Ive read there's little difference in quality and sharpness betweent the sigma 8mm f3.5 and the 10.5mm nikon. I remember looking at some examples and there was so little in it as I remember.

If Im gonna spend ?500+ on a lens I want a significant and obvious difference.

Thanks

M
Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 PM

Masten,

I think the difference between sigma and nikon or (tokina) lenses is very significant.
i had a 8mm sigma lens and i talked to one guy (that you might know, Michel Thoby, a french guy) who made some very deep tests (if you search in google, you will find it), and he told me that the nikon and the tokina lenses are (was) the best. When i bought the tokina, i was amazed by the difference.

I hope you will find the one who makes the difference, but imho, after sigma 8mm it will be easy.

Regards

Christophe

Last edited by christophe; 05-14-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Downloads: 3

Hi christophe!

Can you tell me what set of shoots do you use for the tokina in 17mm position?
in 10mm I mostly use 4(+30?) + 4(-30?) or also 6+z+n...

Hope you or some other users can tell me, and also hope it would be something like 6(+30) + 6(-30) what would bring to an image around
15000*7500 px...(with my canon 400D)

Thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Hello Jordi,

I don't remember the exact coefficient of the 400D, but i suggest you to stay in 10mm who gives a 16 mm (if the coef is 1.6). Then i imagine you can do 4 photos at 0 + zenith + nadir.

If you want more details and use a higher focal, i am not sure i can help you, i never did it.

I use a full frame camera so it's easier to make only 4 photos with a respectable quality.

Some members may have an idea more exact to help you.

Sorry for my cheap answer.

Regards

Christophe
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Downloads: 3

Hi cristophe, and thanks for the answer

the exact coefficient of the 400D is : 1,6183712

I din't try it but I don't think that I can make 4+z+n, for the moment I'm at 6+z+n but normally as I told you 4+4

I just wanted to make bigger images now with this cam&lens I just get 11000x5500 pixels which is quite good or even more than enough, but I wanted to try more....

Anyway maibe someone who uses tokina 10-17 may have made the test to try it into a non full frame cam with 17 mm (which by the rule of three is giving 27 mm) how would be the setup... if not I'll try it myself...

thanks again
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM

Hi Cristophe. Yeah I found that page with those test and the Nikon is definitely better. Not massively but enough to make a good difference after processing

So Ill look into getting on of those.

Thanks

Masten
Old 05-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Hi!

I'm also planning to improve my technology and purchase either a 10.5mm fisheye or a 12mm lens for a Nikon D90 camera. Which one would you prefer? Which results in better image quality? I would like to avoid distortion, or blurring of parts of the images. I'm afraid that if I would purchase a 12mm lens, it would result in 15-17 megapixel images that are larger than the maximal 12.1 megapixel resolution (4288 * 2848) of the camera, resulting in some pixelation and blurring of the images. Am I right?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:30 PM

Hi Barbi

Im not sure I get what you mean but the choice of lens makes no difference to the resolution with which your camera captures the image. The tighter the lens the bigger and higher quality (generally speaking) your resulting pans will be though of course you will have to shoot more images to get the result.

Masten