Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

The reason is simple Pot:

Every single plugin that exists outside of Flashificator (and there are many) would be requested by users to be translated into working for the iOS player. Sure it could be done, but it would have to be done in a way that would cover the cost of the development.

I am not saying that such a day will not come, but it will not be upon us here and now.

Those who do not support the projects financially where it helps keeping development ongoing (Flashificator/PanoCocoon and upcoming iOS player for FFC) can of course claim that nothing is being done for them. And to a degree be right about it. The underlying FPP engine is however being further developed, with added features and functionality. No, it is not documented for handcoders, but those with FFC can and do benefit from the added functionality... and some of the FFC users also do hand coding after finishing off their projects in FFC. They did buy a tool which they use and benefit from on multiple fronts. When the iOS player comes for FFC, it will not be provided for free, but as a commercial addon since it costs time and money to make those things. Someone who has the iOS player and publishes their projects from FFC, will be able to use it even for hand coded projects... but it will of course not magically create replacement for .swf plugins to work on iOS devices.

If you feel that FPP is dead because you would have to purchase new modules to do what you would like to do, then that is how you feel.

But seeing things in the light of reality changes the picture quite a bit (in my opinion) :

A person goes to a store and buys a 30" TV.
A couple of years later the purchaser of the TV wants to get a 70" TV for free, and also a DVD player and a bunch of DVD's... all for free.

That's not going to happen in the real world. Plain and simple. Why some people think it will happen in the real world of software development is beyond me to understand. Maybe someone can explain to me why it should be like that?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 PM

Downloads: 0

Is not a problem for me to pay for every new versions of FPP.
But I must have a software expecially for handcoders like me, support for iPad and mobile devices, good support, a programmer that work on the software every day...
I found all of this in another software, some months ago, meanwhile for FPP nothing changed...
I must stay in the business, FPP is no more in the business, for me.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Lots of things have changed.

Disagree?

Then please explain:

Polygon drawn hotspots
Grouping of hotspots
Free GUI for handcoders in 10 languages
Built in intelligent xml editor especially made for FPP
gif support for animated and non-animated images

All of this and much more provided at zero cost for the community.

Then there are all the free plugins made by others (most by Tommy Wirestam) over the past years.
Other plugins, Flashificator, PanoCocoon, iOSVR and a couple of webkit players are found as well for those who use the FPP engine, at an additional cost.

Saying that nothing has changed, really belittles the HUGE amount of work and dedication put into the projects, and I find that quite saddening.

World's best panorama projects have FPP as the core engine, and most of those have been made with FFC. That is a fact and not a sales pitch.

The future of panorama creation is not found in hand-coded projects, but in projects made with software ran through graphical user interfaces, enabling people to do complex things with a few clicks of the mouse. That is also a fact. Of course there will still be hand coders making their special needs projects, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it is not the field in which money will be made for software creators or users.

Of course more can be done, and more IS being done on every day basis to add features and make things better... the upcoming iOS player being a good example, since it can already display better quality images than any of the players already existing for panorama display in iDevices.

Lots of things have changed, but maybe for you (and others?) the changes were not what you personally desired, or were willing to learn or for some other reason you were not interested in the changes, therefore you may feel as if nothing changed. But that is a completely different thing.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 AM

So, how does iOSvr integrate with FFC? I couldn't find any info on their site regarding this, it is simply a link to the FFC website. Does it convert the FFC XML code and spit out an iOS compatible version?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 AM

Default What is iOSVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by makiedog View Post
So, how does iOSvr integrate with FFC? I couldn't find any info on their site regarding this, it is simply a link to the FFC website. Does it convert the FFC XML code and spit out an iOS compatible version?
iOSVR is not a plugin for FPP or FFC it is a standalone dedicated iOS platform specific MAC/PC software that works together with whatever software you are using.

iOSVR is not just a Flash tour converted to HTML5 and then made really small / scaled down to fit on an iPhone screen, instead it has been designed ground up for the iOS platform to look , feel and work just like a native iPhone/iPad App.

iOSVR comes as a very handy already made template with a fully feature packed working iPhone and iPad virtual tour already done for you so that anyone even without knowing any coding can jump right in and start making a virtual tour. It is fully customisable for anyone that knows HTML, what features you don't need you can simply turn off.

On average it takes about 30-45 min to create a fully featured iOSVR tour for an iPhone or iPad, as they share the same code base and data files you can then copy over the data file and finish the second device tour in about 15 minutes. Yes you must create iPhone and iPad tours separately.... Why? Because of the screen size difference, however each have their own dedicated CSS that displays the tour natively so when you are using an iPhone the user interface is "Usable" and menu items remain like they would in a native App.

iOSVR is not the competition to any software, it is an additional tool that developers can use to offer their clients a high end product.

iOSVR is a free download for users to try, best thing to do is to either try it or use one of the links available to show your clients one of your or your colleagues best iOS virtual tour side by side with an iOSVR tour and give your clients the opportunity to choose.
1) This one is cheaper but has less features and looks like a Flash tour made tiny
2) This one costs more but has all the features and looks and feels like an App

That way your clients will have the opportunity to make their own choice.

iOSVR is a protected source, it protects the panographers images and panoramas by not allowing a computer to view the tour and so nobody can get into the back end and steal your panoramas. Because iOSVR interface is like an iPhone/iPad App there would be little point to try viewing that on a computer screen anyway, just as there is little point trying to view a computer dedicated tour that has elements designed for a large screen on a screen the size of an iPhone as all the elements wouldn't fit.

Here is a link to test the latest iOSVR V2.9:

iOSVR has device detection codes built in, so when you make your FPP or whatever tour you can use the iOSVR code to detect and redirect computers, Android tablets and iOS devices to their respective tours. So all you need is one link for your or your clients tour the rest is taken care of.

There is plenty of 24/7 support either from the Help Desk or Live Chat through the iOSVR website, most help requests are answered in minutes and there is plenty of online step by step tutorials with code snippets and pictures for referencing.

iOSVR is not a magic bullet, one click wonder, but what you do get is a dedicated app like solution that will impress your clients and enable you to create iOS tours very easily.

An iOSVR-FPP XML converter is being developed, but I doubt that it will be able to convert absolutely everything that is in a Flash tour XML file, if this can be done effectively for the most part it will be a huge help to all developers, any time saver function is welcome in my book.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM

So why does IOSVR's marketing language says it works with FFC and other software? What exactly is the relationship between them? Sounds to me it is very misleading, suggesting some sort of easy conversion.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Reason can be lack of awareness likewise when I read this thread I searched in google after that I come to know about some basic stats of this.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 AM

Default Handcoder here too......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot View Post
Is not a problem for me to pay for every new versions of FPP.
But I must have a software expecially for handcoders like me, support for iPad and mobile devices, good support, a programmer that work on the software every day...
I found all of this in another software, some months ago, meanwhile for FPP nothing changed...
I must stay in the business, FPP is no more in the business, for me.
I have used FPP Since late 2006 or 2007 (dont remember which) and love it and the custom projects I have created, but lack Iphone/Ipad support was about to cost me clients - If a simple & quick solution is written for FPP I would gladly pay for it and would love to continue with it but for now I must bid farewell....

No doubt Trausti will provide a solution, I have Pano Cocoon and it it a great offering ...FFC is great as well, no disrespect to all the hard work ..I know how hard it it to keep the masses happy ! Hope to return soon !

- Dennis
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 AM

FPP needs native HTML5 support.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Currently Proggy the programmer is finishing off an update for FFC and OMG. When that is done, he is diving back into the native iOS engine he already did many months ago, and have it finished off. This is absolutely needed, and I would like nothing more than being able to announce it to be ready.