Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to thumeau
Default image Size limit for panoType=cylinder??

Hello there,
I'm using flashpano player to display my newer cubical panoramas without any issue.
I'm currently in the process of migrating to flashpano my old panoramas which are cylindricals (and partial only). (I used to display them in a the java ptviewer)
I have already converted my HTML for 2 other panoramas but I'm having an issue with one which is pretty large (the jpg is 11270x1515).
I wanted to keep this resolution but the result gave me bad cubical faces.
I then tried to resize the image by 50% and it worked.

Is there a limit in size for a cylindrical panorama to be displayed properly?

If yes, is converting my panorama to cubical faces my only solution to keep the original resolution?

Thanks,
Thomas
www.photo-culture.com

image on which I'm having issues (converted to cubical for now)
Old 10-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Site admin

Maximum size for image resource in Adobe Flash Player is 128Mb. So you can't load images more then 44.7 Mpix as a single object.

You image is only 11270*1515/1048576 = 16.3 Mpix.
It should be OK.

Check panoType=cylinder (not stripe) and hfov/vfov if your cylinder is less then 360 degrees.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 AM

Hi Denis,
I have done the test once more to make sure.
Without changing anything in the code, the panorama is displayed properly when the image is resized to 5000x1258 but at it's original size (11270x2515) it is not displayed properly, the faces of the cube don't match.
I have only changed the size of the image between both tests so I'm pretty sure that my code is not to blame.

You can see the not working one here:
test

For additional info, I don't use any XML file; instead, I have the XML data embedded in the HTML.
Also, I use the mechanism that allows loading and showing a preview low res. pano first while loading the high res version.

I have done my tests with FF.
(Actually I just discovered that my newer panoramas using the preview mechanism won't work with IE6. Also, the others panoramas will display properly in IE6 but without the hotspots. I will do some more investigation with IE6 and write another message in this forum if necessary)

If you could have a look at my first issue, that would be great.

Thank you,
Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 AM

Hi again,
I could test my equilateral panorama on 2 powerful new iMacs yesterday.
- The 1st one has 1Gb RAM, 128Mb of Graphic RAM. For this one, my panorama doesn't display well and I have an error message.
- The 2nd one has 1Gb RAM and 256Mb of Graphic RAM. The panorama worked well on this one.

It looks like my panorama needs a very powerful Graphic card. Is that expected?
Also, the surprising thing is that if I convert it to cubical or to a mov file, it works on lower-end PCs too...

Do I have to downsize or convert to cubical each of my panoramas if I want to be sure that most PCs will be able to display it?

Just a reminder, my goal was to switch my web site from the java PTviewer to flashpanorama and I purchased flashpanorama based on the fact that it supports equilateral panoramas.

Thanks,
Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Site admin

Hi.
Unfortunately Flash has no instruments to foresee the resources depletion on low computers. It depends on Flash Player version, browser, free RAM state.
The good (tried) way is to have "low resolution" and "high resolution" links to give the decision to the visitor.
QTVR files is also a good solution, big images are broken to tiles in this format. It takes less computer resources to load.