Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Announcing HideAPano "Encryption" Utility

Hi All,

From the number of emails I've gotten about this, I have a feeling this might, maybe, just be of interest to one or two people around here.

My "encryption" utility for XML and images is ready. You can read more about it, and grab yourself a copy at: http://flashpanos.com

Zephyr

Improving the panoramic one mighty fine plug-in at a time: http://www.flashpanos.com
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 AM

great, i'll paypal you once i get home from the beach, can't wait
Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM

Downloads: 2

Hi Zephyr;
This tool will make our panos more safe... Thanks.. Can you give information about useage of this tool? When ı visit the flashpanos ı can not see any xml examples?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 AM

@seeinside360: well that sort of is the point, no? I did post an the XML file that is called by the FPP, so you can see what a potential "borrower" or your XML would see. Which is a bunch of illegible junk. And to the best of my knowledge, with the exception of the few caveats mentioned, you can use the "encryption" on any XML file you can write. So what exactly are you looking for in an "xml example"?

Zephyr

Improving the panoramic one mighty fine plug-in at a time: http://www.flashpanos.com
Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleifr View Post
@seeinside360: well that sort of is the point, no? I did post an the XML file that is called by the FPP, so you can see what a potential "borrower" or your XML would see. Which is a bunch of illegible junk. And to the best of my knowledge, with the exception of the few caveats mentioned, you can use the "encryption" on any XML file you can write. So what exactly are you looking for in an "xml example"?

Zephyr
Sorry for my English. Let me try on the easy way How can we use this plugin ? İs it a xml file or flash plugin how it works. I just want know about this kind of things before purchase this plugin.
here is the example I mean:
<panorama>
<parameters>
layer_1 = plugins/HideAPano.swf
</parameters>
<hotspots> .... Can ıt be use like that?
And my last question Can we use ıt on offline cd presentations?

cheers...
Old 03-09-2008, 01:16 PM

Great news Zephyr

I'm also a bit curious as how this works, obviously the internal works of the plug-in must be kept a "secret", but what steps must we take to setup the encrypted pano?
Does it work like a plugin to read the encrypted xml and a aplication to encrypt it?
What do you mean by only being able to save to a server? Is it a server script doing the encryption? I know that you're developing a standalone app.
if it's a script what's the requirements of the server?
Does it work with .mov's? <- nevermind just reread you post on flashpanos, sorry :P

I'm only asking to clear a few things before I log in to my PayPal account

Keep up the great work
My Random Blog
FPP:ContextMenu plugin add your own brand safely

Last edited by PauloGGPX; 03-09-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM

Hi everybody,

Let me clarify how the process works:

You write the XML file for a tour normally. Test it as you would normally. Then, when it is all done, and ready for distribution, you change the panoType to an encrypted panoType. So if you were using cubes, you might not have a panoType declaration at all while you are writing/testing the tour, since cube is the default, and then when it is all done, you would put panoType=hideacube in the <parameters> section.

Then you start up the HideAPano utility, you type in the paths to your XML file and your images, and it "encrypts" them with your password, and sends them to a server to be saved to files (Flash does not allow a user to save a file to the local computer, but a file can be saved to a server, and then downloaded in the browser. Not the most convenient process, but it does work).

Then you download them from the server using your browser.

Finally, you slightly change the embedding code in the HTML page, so that instead of embedding pano.swf directly, you are embedding shell.swf, which is just a "wrapper" for pano.swf, and handles the subsequent loading of pano.swf, the "encrypted" XML and images, and then passes the "decrypted" XML and images into pano.swf for display. Shell.swf, is designed the same way that embedPano.fla is designed. It is just wraps around FPP and handles loading and "decrypting" and passing the files off to FPP

So in summary, to use it you have to make one slight change to the final XML file, and one slight change to the embedding code in the HTML. There is no plugin involved, but you do have to load FPP via shell.swf. The utility is like any other application, except that Flash won't let it save files. In fact HideAPano is a Flash Projector file, so in the distribution, there is HideAPano.app for Macs and HideAPano.exe for Windows.

AND when I (or Patrick) finish "porting" it over to AIR, HideAPano will be even more of a proper application, supporting drag and drop of your XML and image files into HideAPano, and saving them directly to your computer out of HideAPano. So none of the functionality will change, (it is fully functional now), but it will be a lot more convenient to use. And since it is "useable" right now, and a lot of you want it now, I am releasing it now for "early adopters" who just have to have their XML and images "encrypted" now, and don't want to wait any longer.

Hopefully that will answer everybody's questions. And if it doesn't, ask more!

Zephyr

Last edited by zleifr; 03-09-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Hi Z,

A simple question: what's the difference between using your plugin and a classic HTML encryption tool?

i mean if one can protect main HTML page with this type of tool, xml should be also protect right (at least its location)? Not sure about images...

Please tell us, and bravo for your work

Cheers
Old 03-10-2008, 04:40 AM

@jaaab: what is the classic HTML encryption tool you are talking about?

And even if you were to use something that encrypts the HTML and hides it's source from the user. There are a number of ways around that. First, in Safari, you can get a listing of every file downloaded on a page and click to open or download, so rely on the browser to hide a file for you is not so good. If you try to look at a file that has been "encrypted" by this utility, if it is XML, you get complete gibberish, and if it is an image, it just won't open, The only way to make either the image or the XML usable after it has gone through the utility is to use the shell.swf file that ships with the utility to "decrypt" and pass the files into pano.swf. (Or break the "encryption", and any encryption scheme can theoretically be broken).

Take a look at the XML file and image that are linked on flashpanos.com. That is the actual XML file, and the actual front cube face image that is being used in the demo, but when you look at them, or download them, you get gibberish and a broken image.

I hope that answers your question.

Zephyr

Old 03-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Hi,

For exemple i'm testing Encrypt HTML Pro.

Ok for images, that certainly doesn't encrypt images.

But for xml, i mean if the part of the main HTML page were the xml url is writen is encrypted, so there's no way for someone to catch this xml file, am i wrong?

++