Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default how do you make image autorotate while its loading

Hi

I have loaderConsecutive and loaderStreamed set to 1 so the viewer gets immediate feedback that the image is loading

Id also like the image to start autorotating whilst loading and the hotspots to load after the first cube face has loaded and not after the last cube face as it currently does,

This would give the impression that all is loaded and working after only one cube-face has loaded (by the time the autorotate gets around all the other faces will have loaded)

Is this possible?

My images are 6000x3000 and between (500kb and 1MB)

cheers

Masten
Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM

No takers for this one then?

I just want the hotspots to load first and the autorotate to begin while the pan is loading

Surely it's possible?

No?

It can be done in deval vr.

Masten
Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Masten,

I don't think it is possible to start FPP without specifying a panoname. I'm not sure how disableLoading affects this. BUT, hotspots will not display until that initial pano is fully loaded and displayed, as I understand it. So think workaround. Make the initial pano a very low resolution preview that downloads and displays quickly, for example. And/or make it not visible. Or maybe diableLoading can help. Download and display your high rez pano in the onStart section. Hotspots will now be displayed before the main pano is.

If you have autorotation pause set to 0 initially the pano will start rotating as soon as that preview is displayed. So it will be rotating while your high rez pano is displaying. Be sure to change autorotation.pause= to whatever pause you really want at some point. In the onStart section might be good.

Be aware, having a pano display while autorotating may cause a significant performance hit.

Hope that helps.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node
Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Hey Scott

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time..

I know this stuff isnt as sexy as flying hotspots and in-pan video etc but from a solid commercial perspective a product should always be customer focused (as opposed to product focused)

It's these kind of the basics of product development i. fast loading times or rather 'perceived' fast loading that are the most important.

For my demographic (30 to 60 year old non-techie quite well-off paying guests in high end establishments that just want to see what a place is like before they book in) you've got about 3 to 5 seconds max to get something on screen. They'll need it to autorotate immediately as a lot of them wont even touch the interface or click and drag on it and they certainly dont care about the technology and how cool it is. Though, of course, they do need to be wowed by the images. But first and foremost it just needs to work.

I have noticed on this forum there is quite a bit of product development without considering their end customer which is actually the only thing that matters

Just my opinion. Rant over

Cheers mate.

Ill let you know how it goes

Masten
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Downloads: 1

Hi Masten,

I agree with you about a product that must be customer focused and understand your need for a fast loading.

Now, if most of your target customers won't use fpp (or any other player) features; like interaction, click&drag and so on, why not simply make a video?

To narrow my question, what's the point of virtual tours if most of the customers (or more exactly the customers' prospects..) don't use it the way it was built for?

I would be interested in having your feedback about what your customers are expecting. You can PM me as it's off the topic of this thread.

cu
Old 10-21-2008, 01:13 PM

Hi nidrig

Thanks for the feedback

I would say about 30-40% wont use the features and as long at it autorotates it doesnt matter whether they think its video or a panorama as long as they are getting the info they need i.e what the place is like!

The rest will use the features and for those - panoramas are way better than video for all the obvious reasons.

Im going to try and get that precentage up by putting prompts to click and drag, use mouse wheel to zoom in etc, but that comes second to getting something immediate on the screen.

Really I was just trying to get the point across about thinking about the end customer is the most important and getting the basics right is essential before developing the sexy stuff

cheers

Masten
Old 10-21-2008, 02:00 PM

Hi,

I think you're right and at the core of the subject; doing what's the client needs! And doing it simply..

I have implemented Google Analytics within my visits to tracks what's work and not. But I haven't enough feedback from "real users" (and not tech geeks playing around) to sort out which sexy features give a good user experience. That is why I was asking about your feedback.

I was also thinking about doing a vt that plays by itself, like a video. Where the user does nothing but look. Now I have credit to go further on that path.

cu!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masten View Post
I have noticed on this forum there is quite a bit of product development without considering their end customer which is actually the only thing that matters
Masten,

Don't be too hard on the forum. After all, it exists primarily to answer those technical questions. Any of us using FPP for commercial purposes have to deal with user interface as well, of course. Showcase section is where more of that discussion takes place.

Your observations are similar to what I've observed. But an in depth study of user interface issues could prove very helpful.

Nidrig,

If you want to see some nice examples of cinematic use of VR through scripting check out Ricardo's VR gallery. Patrick has a great tutorial about how to do this on his Flashpanos site.

My own small experimentation can be seen here.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Nidrig

It depends, of course, on your clients. A museum tour, for example, would benefit from much more user interaction than the more commercial clients (hotels, venues) that I currently have.

For museums & educational stuff a vt that automatically takes you through is great I think.

I stay away from this sector for the moment for commercial reasons as I like to work to a template that I feed my new images into. I dont have time to produce unique tour structures for each new client (one day maybe)

Scott:

Quote:
Don't be too hard on the forum
Oh no I didnt mean to be harsh. Is that how it came across? I love this forum. I get so much out of it. I suppose it does sound a bit harsh reading it again. Apologies to anyone who felt it was harsh.

Ricardo's tours are really impressive. Amazing. Where does he find the time though?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

Ricardo's tours are a real inspiration. Due to his works, I decided this was something that should be doable for normal users with no coding knowledge... and it is to be done "soon" for the FFC project.