Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I already have found the will and also I have a very clear idea of how it would be "my" best GUI interface...I came across with it while doing the storyboard and script of quite complex virual tour (113 panos-20 floorplans-3 languages)...
The time will be the most difficult resource to find...

Actually this is not my wish list for FFC or even for FPP, I know everything can be done...But yes I'm completly NEW in FPP !! I bought the software last january, but due to my projects I could not start using it untill few days ago...

I come from TourWeaver, a software that is absolutley the worst in the vr comunity, but at least you don't need to code anything. As you can detect my lack of writting code is absolutley clear. I have already read the tutorials and also checked many XML files, but when it's time to writte a function that I don't know it's coming very difficult for me...
For these reasons and also having in mine that this forum had the aim to help users each other, gives you the clue of what I want with this post...

Anyway I don't see nobody who try to collaborate in writting this standard code that could be used by any FPP user and that will save a big time and effort, and maibe also improves the learning curve of writting this XML configuration files...

As Tuddi has understood, what I say in the first point of the list, the behaviour of the Map spots, should disable the rest of spots while loading and just reactivate them once the new pano has been loaded...
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 PM

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi View Post
I already have found the will and also I have a very clear idea of how it would be "my" best GUI interface...I came across with it while doing the storyboard and script of quite complex virual tour (113 panos-20 floorplans-3 languages)...
What is your best GUI?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 PM

Hi nidrig,

first of all my congratulations on your work it's very good...

you mean what would be my ideal GUI for FPP ?

here you have the first sketch of what the conexions part would be :

Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Wow! Looks like a maze!

Now, I understand what you mean by marking the visited places..in your case, showing the already covered path would be a plus.

Currently, I have notes from my customers who get lost within multi-nodes tours. I've not found a solution yet. Actually, it all depends on the user previous experience. People used to 1st person video games are fine within complex tours, but the other (the majority) are lost. No matter what.

Anyway, I would be curious to see how you'll solve this!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM

Hi nidrig,

I also have detected with my users test that many people get lost with the multi-nodes tours, but I disagree in the point that is beacause of their inexperience, I would say that is because of our designs and also the usability that we can offer...I have quite experience visiting tours and also getting lost and frustated in many cases here is an example, just try to guest where the hotspots are gonna take you, it don't have any sense....

How would I solve this ? ...

Good structure of the virtual Tours, where the basic elements are in their fine position and making the correct functions :
1. slideshow ( top-right corner)
2. navigation buttons (bottom-right corner)
3. floorplan ( left-top corner)
4. Info box (left-bottom corner)

USABILITY !!

I'm also curious to know if someone can help me in writting the code to do this 5 basic points established in the first post :

1. good functionality in the map spots
2. onOver a scene spot point the location in the map
3. distinguish visited / unvisited hotspots
4. Animation of the map spot during the scene loading
5. Multiple floorplan

*all of them are best explained in the first point of this post
Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM

Well, your wishes regarding a more user friendly UI are right on target, I think.

Yet, what you want to achieve is beyond FPP XML file possibilities. You'll need to write your own AS3 plugin that will handle the navigation part.

I've done this myself for my tours and the main problem with apparently simple navigation (user POV), is that it's very expensive to develop comparing to the average tour (2-8 nodes).

Maybe for bigger project like yours, people can raise the funds to develop such UI. But then, I don't think they'll share it freely.

To get the navigation you want, I see two options: 1) write it yourself 2) if 1 is not possible, pay someone to do it.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM

Downloads: 0
Default Workin' on it

I created something similar to what you're looking for. There is a GUI too. I'll post a link in a day or two to a working example. Stay tuned...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM

WOWWW !! I'll be just tuned full time !!
a full new GUI for FPP ??
Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Downloads: 0

we'll start out with some markers, (circles, triangles, whatever) and designate them...

green = not visited
red = visited

set-up your hotspots w/ the green marker,

url = "green.png"
(or just leave the unvisited hotspots blank, whichever)

then, when they click on the hotspot, it'd change the marking on the map.
onClick = "hotspotID.url=red.png"
_____

the best way to disable secondary clicks, would probably be to create a transparent png to cover over your map at a higher depth that would keep them from clicking on anything after the first click.

<spot id="transparent" url="transparent.png" visible="0" blockmouse="1" buttonmode="0" />

then adding to the hotspot's onClick...

onClick = "transparent.visible=1"

then, in your global tag, you could add

onTransitionEnd="transparent.visible=0"

so that the map will be interactive again after the pano loads.
______

As for marking the spot on the map that the hotspot is leading to, I liked your idea about showing different scale/alpha maps, but in order to show which spot is being marked, you would have to have it set up for which version of the map is being shown, a smaller version or a larger version. If the larger version would always be the version being marked, no problem, if the smaller versions will be using markers, then multiple functions would have to be created to change around where the marker will land.

using the larger version, you could create a yellow marker that would float around depending on which area it needed to mark.

<spot id="marker" url="yellow.png" blockmouse="0" visible="1" alpha="0" />

then, when you "onOver"'ed a hotspot, it could move the marker...

onOver="marker.staticX=###; marker.staticY=###,,,showMarker"

showMarker being a global function...

showMarker="alpha=1,200"
hideMarker="alpha=0,200"

hideMarker would be for the onOut parameter...

onOut="hideMarker"
______

Looking back, the preceding string of consciousness, is probably a bit fragmented and disjointed. I see where nidrig is coming from with the AS3 navigation, it's not necessary, but considering my lack of AS3 experience I can't tell you which way would be easier, the FPP version would require quite a few different functions to be created, but I believe what you want to do IS possible w/ just FPP xml.

The coding for FPP can be quite intimidating when you begin, but like with any language (computer or human), once you become familiar with it, you can begin to string together more complex phrasings. Took me about 2 weeks to "grasp" the basics, and after that point, it's a continual learning experience. Especially when it comes to usability, trying to guess what FPP wants, what your client wants, what THEIR users want...
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM

Hi Siesfor,
and thanks so much for your tricks and your encouragement words, I will continue reading XML files and try to learn it little bit...

I like your idea of start writting the XML in human code, this is what I'm gonna do right when I come back today from shooting some pictures I have to...

I also apreciate so much the words from Nidrig who suggest me to writte my own plugins, but for this I will need to use the second option, which I have already start looking for some programmer who can write nice AS3.

Now I realize little bit more that my aim of writting a standard code that can be used for anyone with the help of this forum members is not so possible because of the interest of each one...as in my country they say "If you want to be good served just make the bed by your own"

Anyway thanks so much to those who have collaborate in this post...

I hope to writte back soon in this post with some nice example, probably not the Best Floorplan Ever Done, but perfection is something about unreal worlds !!