Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I'm always amazed by the creativity and ideas people have. Using the XML file the way siesfor suggested is excellent. It would be interesting to see someone going down that path.

Regarding the XML versus AS3 solution, I don't know which one is easier or cheaper to develop. Maybe it would be easier to find someone good in AS3 than a FPP XML guru.

Anyway, thanks Jordi for the relevant UI improvement suggestions; it's really the future of virtual tours, I think.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Downloads: 0
Default UX and CPU usage are priorities

Very hot topic for me trying to work out a faster process of providing maps and floorplan navigation, for real estate and higher quality Virtual Tours.

Looking forward to Trausti's "Mapper" module.

IMHO, UX is still the top priority. Just like you choose Flash over QTVR because Flash covers 99% of pcs, where QTVR covers 85%, the VT must cover 100% of users, especially those who aren't computer savy, over 50, and know nothing about role playing games !

2nd, CPU usage is an issue... we've noticed several excellent VTs actually using way too much CPU.
Is this due to the actual pano filesizes ? to the engine ? or to both ?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentsj View Post
2nd, CPU usage is an issue... we've noticed several excellent VTs actually using way too much CPU.
Is this due to the actual pano filesizes ? to the engine ? or to both ?
It depends on the engine, the technology and the programmation.

Flash10 uses hardware acceleration, for instance. But currently, only FPP takes advantages of it (krpano and pano2vr are still in beta for flash 10). And not everyone is running Flash10.

It depends also of the size of the pano, the bigger, the more computation.

And last but not least, it depends of the code written atop the engines. The radar, for instance, is CPU consuming, like the automatic rotation.

In the end, it's all a question of balance; on one hand we want high end virtual tours with game-like functionnality, on the other we want them to be low-cost to produce and performant.

All we need is time..and money
Old 01-17-2009, 03:02 AM

hey jordi and nidrig,

I threw together a quick lil' crude example today (well, what started out as quick, but you know how it goes with FPP) of what I was talking about. Some things didn't work out like I thought they would (as to be expected), but with a few lil' workarounds, came out okay. The markers for visited rooms turn red, and the onOver's for the doorways in the panos cause a yellow marker to flash on the map. The the zip file contains the xml and relevant files, just add pano.swf & hotspots.swf to check it out.

Jordi, I also added a "blocker" png to the example, that initiates when you click on a new pano, then goes away after the pano's transition, the bottom 2 boxes on the map, have longer loading transition times (1.5 secs), so you can see the way it blocks out pano interaction until after the transition end.

Hopefully it'll give you a general idea of what's involved and help to fuel some creative juices.
Attached Files
File Type: zip map.zip (90.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Downloads: 3
Default getting really interesting

Hi siesfor !!

This is getting really interesting !! Thanks so much !!

In this last few days I've been making my first usages of the FPP, and things start working !! I'm really happy !! but I need more effort for getting the wanted results...

I have been reading the XML file you posted !! Wow it's working really fine !!

I'm remaking an old project of a museum, and I'll try to implement the functions you have defined. As soon as I finish it I'll post it, with the aim of continuing this post, and hoping to get a very Usable Floorplan system...

Thanks again !!

By the way I would like to show you the little project I'm making now, it's from a very nice town next to the Mediterranean sea, called Sitges...Actually I'm working in the retouching of the images, and I also want to implement a map, directional sound, voice explanaition and a text box... any comment would be appreciated.. ( I've recognized the first pano (1.mov) loads twice, and don't know why?).

Last edited by jordi; 01-17-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Downloads: 3

I have reply the post but as it's not apperaing in the forum directly, I writte this one in order to make the above one visible...

thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siesfor View Post
hey jordi and nidrig,

I threw together a quick lil' crude example today (well, what started out as quick, but you know how it goes with FPP) of what I was talking about. Some things didn't work out like I thought they would (as to be expected), but with a few lil' workarounds, came out okay. The markers for visited rooms turn red, and the onOver's for the doorways in the panos cause a yellow marker to flash on the map. The the zip file contains the xml and relevant files, just add pano.swf & hotspots.swf to check it out.

Jordi, I also added a "blocker" png to the example, that initiates when you click on a new pano, then goes away after the pano's transition, the bottom 2 boxes on the map, have longer loading transition times (1.5 secs), so you can see the way it blocks out pano interaction until after the transition end.

Hopefully it'll give you a general idea of what's involved and help to fuel some creative juices.
Hello,

So do you use this file on an existing pano?
I added pano.swf and hotspot.swf but cannot figure out
what to do to see your example?
Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izoneguy View Post
Hello,

So do you use this file on an existing pano?
I added pano.swf and hotspot.swf but cannot figure out
what to do to see your example?
Thanks
I figured it out.
Thanks for the example!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 AM

Default Check this out

Customizable Multi-Area Map with point to point animated, or sequentially animated "you are here" avatar, Tooltip enabled user loadable map hotspots with optional compass functionality. Audio enabled scene description box with HotWord capability. Gui for copy and paste XML coding. Considering a retail web release. A few kinks to work out but...tell me what you think.

Excuse the pano size.

{Link Removed}

Last edited by Dynamanic; 01-25-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to discocandy Send a message via Skype™ to discocandy

Hi Dynamanic.
here my comments on your tour.

close map when loading a new panorama..
Also no panorama movement when map is open.
the canon is only viewable when usin sequential animation (but nice idea!)

I see some photographic problems..

but very nice!