Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

It's so good that some people are ready to blow their minds because they don't have it yet.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Downloads: 0

I wld ne great if there wld be a feature preview of the 2.4 version.
The features of the KrPano Player is getting better and better if i read about the new beta with for e.g. "KrPano Protect".
Denis wrote abt a new architecture of the player some month ago I hope that
will be outstanding cause I m thinking abt switching to KrPano Player.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to www.bodensee360.de

First of all i want give me a name: Michael
"Bodensee" is only a lake where i live...

I want to say i dont want to blame the work of Denis or Trausti. When i bought FPP, i saw the possibilities that you can do with it and i was quite amazed.

The biggest problem is for me that we dont hear anything from Denis directly...i think it should be possible to put minimal info into the blog in 5-6 months (even when i'm stressed). Just some minimal info about what he is planning....i know he wants to say not too much because other Flash players producer can copy his ideas.

About the "next big thing": Its like a cloud - only rumors but nothing real or facts....even the people who are in frequent contact with Denis dont know what is planned or even that IS something planned and WHEN it is released.

If Denis is not interested anymore in FPP (too less income with it), he should thinking about open the sources.

my main critics are:

1. No outlook what will happen and when. Rumors dont count.

2. blog is useless -> Denis problem

3. Documentation lacks, missing topics --> could be done by commmunity.
Would save a lot of forum entries. How much topics i find for "getting the name of the current panorama" ? What about a wiki ?

4. three developers (Denis, Trausti, Tommy, in early days partick & zephir) doing all their own. If power would be contrentrated & coordinated, it would be better. for example: "where do i find a plugin which can...". In Pano2VR i find ALL information in one website / one forum.

FPP Resources:
1. FPP Blog
2. FPP Forum
3. Flashificator Forum
4. Panoralado Website (obsolte)
5. Tommys Plugin Page
6. FPP Google Groups

A beginner will not mention all that resources, he thinks this or that is not possible.
This is making FPP weak as "complete" solution.

In my first post i talked about Live Picture Reality Studio. For people who doesnt know the programm: It was a program which had almost the functionality as FPP in 2001 (!). You could also add object movies with alpha channel into the panorama (drag & drop). And also Flashpix (comparable with the hiRes gigapan images). I loved the programm very much. Biggest problem was that the multimedia content was only seen with ActiveX Plugin (IE) Browsers. In that case, the program had no real chance to grow.
So it died 2 years ago.

FPP is also a very nice idea, but i fear that FPP will go the same way (I hope not)

Some answers:
@Virtualguide: no critic at FPP itself, but critic for the "PR and propaganda" from Denis. Im quite happy with FPP, but if i hear about new versions and nothing happens -> this making me mad. Im having a quite big project with Siemens and waited (and hoped) for new & easier solutions. And i should offer a stable solution for one of the biggest Hotel ower in the world. And so i sit between 2 Chairs: Waiting for new or trying with the exisiting. if Im using the existing and the new FPP with new archtecture is coming out, my work could be obsolte.

@Jochum: I still prefer FPP. But i want to have it more effective and innovative. Pricing is not so relevant

Please forgive me my strong words, they should be only critic and no affront

Cheers

Michael

Last edited by www.bodensee360.de; 04-09-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to discocandy Send a message via Skype™ to discocandy

I have been in contact with Denis for the last 2 day's about this subject and spam...
I quote a few things he said.

Quote:
I know, it's not good for business to keep quiet,
but to be true it's not very interesting for me to make people arose all the time with some marketing actions or something.
It starts as a hobby for me and it is still a hobby for now.
I think like this: when I will get a good product, I will give it to people.
I don't like to launch not finished products.
that is what I want to tell. There is more but I'll keep that private.
I know about a few features that will be in .
I like it very much and takes it to a next level.

Really Michael.
those others did not need to build their own plugin page? If asked we would have made a special section for it.

The blog is something I think you are right about. I would love to handle the blog and use it for more than just some info on FPP. but also for special projects seen on the forum(panodigg like)
I would love to open up a topic with specific pieces of coding how to do some stuff.

filed by the community.

just point me out some ideas and I'll try to do it.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifos View Post
2.4 will blow our minds!
Yepp.

The Russian Bear is only sleeping. But even though he?s sleeping, he is still THE BEAR.

Denis The VR Menace started it all. And to this very day FPP kills every other similar application out there. Those that think otherwise just have not looked inside the FPP power deeply enough. This one is a WROOM WROOOOOOMMMM.... And still leading the game. With krpano as the nearest challenger. Still, I have faith in Denis and am choosing to stay with FPP.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to discocandy Send a message via Skype™ to discocandy

Aye to that!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:54 AM

one little thing bugs me, the fact that he said this is just a hobby for him... nothing wrong there, maybe we all started as a hobby and for some it is no longer a hobby but part of their business, like Michael, having such big clients depending on a "hobby" is not really acceptable. sure we paid and got our money worth from version 1, but 1 update in a year? and just to fix a mac problem...? no entry on the blog at all? and I think that this project being a hobby for him is not really good to hear, since this means any updates (if any) will come whenever he feels like... Or just kill it altogether. I think a hobby is something you do for fun and not to make money.

Denis is basically saying this is bad PR but he does not care what we think since this is a hobby...hmmm

Krpano is really gaining ground, I have paid for Krpano, and I have switched, I am VERY happy with krpano, sure it does not have a lot of plugins, but most of the things that FPP requires plugins are already enabled by default on kpano.

But I think its safe to say that Krpano will have 2 or 3 new releases before 2.4 comes out, and one of them hopefully with the distorting hotspots (which I personally don't care about ) bu a lot of people seam to say that FPP is superior just for this.

Don't take this wrong, I think FPP is as capable as Krpano, I like both, but I also like to know that the viewer I choose is not going to die after I launch a big project.

Denis believe what you will, but marketing is king... just ask Apple I don't think posting a "hang in there, I am still alive and working" on the blog or forum will take you more than 30 seconds out of your time.

anyways, hopefully 2.4 will come out and be VERY good, and make me feel like an idiot for posting this but otherwise Denis PR is really hurting FPP.

just my 2 cents

Shanti
Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM

Krpano... dont know but I see wavy lines in the examples, if inzoomed every time I pan something comes up in the middle, crappy stitched examples though you can't blame krpano f?r that, and pressing back-button om the mouse it spins like crazy, slightly bad overall feeling and expensiver so they have to come with better if I should convert.
The most impressing sites that takes panoramatours to the limit I have yet seen (haven't seem them all though) FPP is used. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:27 PM

never had any of those problems you mention, maybe you have Flash 9 player?

and what are those sites you mention?

360cities switched to krpano

and that thing that comes in the middle is because you are seeing a multiresolution panorama (think google street, zoomify, gigapan), something than FPP does not support, thats also the reaso why autopano giga uses krpano.

but, my post was not to bash any of the players, like I said, I like both but I like to also know that whichever I choose will not go dead after.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Flash version 10. I looked at krpanos own site. Not impressed. Okey so that was an improvement, multiresolution, nothing I liked, just annoying. And I have a fast connection, what do they do who don't have?
But you are free to like it, I didn't see anything that was better than this.