Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default "No one will be using Flash" - Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs held a town hall meeting with Apple employees late last week following the iPad launch. Wired reports on what was said at the meeting by Steve Jobs. Two of the biggest topics included Google and Adobe.

On Google, Jobs confirms the much-reported competition between the two companies.

On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won't let them, he says.
As for Adobe, Jobs said they are lazy and Jobs blames Adobe for a buggy implementation of Flash on the Mac as one of the reasons they won't support it.

Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it's because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

(source: CLICK HERE)

-

so.... umm - what does that mean for the future of FPP/Flashificator???
Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 AM

I thought Apple was going to replace him, he's always been an dense about which way the market was going.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

With Flash installed on 98% of the world's computers, it surely sounds silly when someone claims that "no one will be using flash"...

Sure, things change, and Flash can easily disappear, but it would require something much better in it's place.

HTML5... yes, that has a future, but as of now, it is no match to Flash, and will take a lot of time to evolve to a level where it can threaten Flash. On the other side of the wheel: IF HTML5 evolves, then who is to say that Flash doesn't evolve equally, and clean out all the bugs and limitations and power consumption issues?

If Apple would stop supporting flash on their iMacs and Pro and Book and Mini systems, they would absolutely not have me as a client buying any of their procucts, and the same would be the case for many others.

Apple is around 10% of the world puter market, and does not hold any heavy weight decisions in their hands, regarding the future of Flash. They can either support Flash, or they can close their business down.

What's next? Apple will only support websites that are made after the strictest HTML5 standards, and any page made in previous versions of HTML will not be viewable on Apple systems? Sounds just as logical.

Steve needs a new long term vacation.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM

Ha
I guess Mr Jobs never seen movietrailers in Safari.

Watching small 480 pixel Quicktime movie trailer in Safari. CPU usage 125%
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/theredbaron/

Watching fullscreen 1920x1200 FPP panorama with autorotation and audio. CPU Usage 102 %
http://www.panoramas.dk/New-Year/times-square.html

Flash 10.1 Beta 2 on Old Mac PPC dualcore G5 from 2005

Hans
Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to discocandy Send a message via Skype™ to discocandy

Well.
Or he is looking further than a lot of us.
HTML5/CSS/Javascript. will be the standard they hope. And if Apple is saying flash will die.they might know some stuff we do not?
They have a close relationship with Adobe? Who knows..

just throwing a ball into the game.
HTML5/CSS/Javascript looks very promising.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:05 AM

jeez, i dunno if you guys are paying attention - but EVERYONE is bailing on Flash. by the time Dennis gets around to giving us a loooooooooooooooooooong overdue update - this software will be obsolete. awesome.

any devs out there interested in making an HTML5-compliant app with a decent GUI that is feature-rich and uncomplicated? Flash/AIR etc are on the outs. the writing is clearly on the wall. we need something new and better. (and we need a dev that actually actively supports his product. you know - the one you paid hard-earned money for).
Old 05-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Administrator

First who is everyone? Can you show us some links or studies? Here are some flash player penetration statistics http://www.adobe.com/products/player...netration.html . I am all for being informed but I just don't know where you are getting this "everyone is bailing on flash" comment.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Administrator

And another http://www.statowl.com/plugin_overview.php
Old 05-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

When HTML5 can offer what Flash can offer now, then it is about time to make the change - unless of course the unthinkable would happen: Flash further evolving.

There is a lot of writings on the walls in public toilets, but that doesn't mean that one should rely on such information for life or work-changing decisions.

Jobs is an idiot, and now the DoJ is going to figth him/Apple on antitrust claims. Flash is here now, has been here for a long time, and it's only on the way out on snob-devices. It's not going away from PC's or Mac computers for many many years to come.

Most people that fall for the Jobs crap (that is repeated ad nauseum everywhere) seem to think that there will be no improvements made to Flash, that Android and other mobile devices will have no influence on the world market in the mobile devices.... that somehow if Jobs says something, then that is going to be what will be.

HTML5 will come. EVENTUALLY. Just keep in mind that HTLM4 came back in 200oops... nope... actually it came back in 1997, then received 3 updates in the next 3 years. Yes, that's right. NO new update has come to HTML4 for the past TEN years! That's OPEN SOURCE as good as it gets. In the same period of time, there have been hundreds(?) of updates for Flash.

For a decade, interactive content has been possible in Flash... and for the same decade, interactive content has *not* been possible to do on the same level in HTML4... yet now that we hear the word HTML5, we should all bail the ship that has brought us all the interactivity there was, over the past decade... and sail away with the new standard that will probably only have 3 updates for the next 13 years... if it does as it's predecessor.

No, I am not bailing Flash, since it is the leading technology, and just because Jobs is an idiot, doesn't mean that an idiot like myself, will HAVE to follow his foolishness.

Denis is not going to provide an update any day soon. That much IS clear.... even to me... and I think I have been very patient waiting for version 3.

FPP NEEDS to be brought up to date and at least TRY to keep up with KRP.
If Denis can not do it, I could make it happen. If Denis thinks that doing nothing for a few more months will be ok for everyone, he needs to wake up and realize that he is wrong.

The "hard earned money" paid for FPP were a very limited amount and well spent. We did get a fantastic player. But the support/communication on the FPP end really sucks.

Sorry for sounding off like that, but I am getting quite fed up with the situation. People who have tried to contact Denis (without success after several emails and several weeks), contact me for help. Same goes for Freddy... and long time users are bailing FPP (not Flash though), because there is nothing going on with the FPP engine updates.

I have mailed Denis with requests for fixes in hotspots.swf and other things, without getting any response on that for months. I ask him a simple question that only he can respond to, and he doesn't answer.

I am just as sick of the situation as any other user of FPP.

What is keeping FPP alive, is Tommy, me and the few persistent users... but from the looks of it, the end is near.

Denis. If you are reading this, I urge you to check your dendroid email box, read my latest mail to you and at least give an answer. A plain "Yes" or "No" would be greatly appreciated.

Trausti
Old 05-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Administrator

I couldn't agree with you more, I really think FPP is being held together by the community and by contributions like you and MANY others out there, and you know who you are. The community has picked up the slack in the absence of Denis.

We all have a lot vested in this program, Denis made an amazing player, absolutely, but the community made it even better. It is what it is today because of all of the contributions to it. I don't want to go down without a fight but it's really getting to be really unnerving for me. I wish him all the best with his wedding, I am sure his head is in a different place right now but how long do we wait with no response? Why is he so reluctant to give us any time frame for completion? How long can we keep this up?