Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Consistent Performance

Has anybody ever noted during playback of file on a local machine (not on a web server somewhere) in a browser (Firefox) anything other than consistent playback performance?

I'm playing/ learning to pan, tilt and zoom (through the FFC gui interface) along a particularly wiggly pathway. With each new segment added in the path, it's tested in the browser - a bunch of refreshes - and not always with the same performance. Sometimes it's smoother or faster than the time before. It's a small annoyance - have you noticed it too?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:48 AM

Here's an example I made as a test. I'd be interested if anybody else experiences any peculiarities during playback... and I'd love to hear what is causing this issue and how it might be subdued. http://glimpsed.us/MotionPath/
Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 AM

It is also inconsistent from one browser to another. In Safari 5 it seems to behave exactly the same time after time. The same thing happened in FF the first couple times then behaved differently. It was different in Chrome and IE as well.

I don't think I've seen this before. Access to your XML might be very helpful.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node
Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 AM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Here's the link to the xml
http://glimpsed.us/MotionPath/tobin5b.xml

Kelly
Old 09-26-2010, 02:18 AM

Kelly,

It appears you are using the onLoad function for your different box elements to fire your motion events. But the boxes don't necessarily load in the same order or with exactly the same timing. You apparently want P1 to fire first and when done fire P2, P3 etc. Can't guarantee that will happen the way you are doing it.

Try this: Remove all your onLoad events from all your box objects. Fire P1 in your onStart function and everything should flow consistently in order from there. You also only need to fire each new motion event at the completion of only one. So, in each function, instead of ending each tween with the same onEnd function, do it for just one.

See if that works.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:18 AM

Thanks Scott. I will try it in the morning when not so tired.

I very much appreciate you looking and commenting, and as likely you can tell, particularly since I've little idea what I'm doing

My flawed approach arose from following this clip: http://www.vimeo.com/12021990 after reading this thread: http://flashificator.com/forums/view...hp?f=16&t=2055

All of this self teaching business of FPP and FFC is fraught with frustration with only clues and cues embedded in obscure forum postings. Will there ever be a wiki?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Scott, is the attached file (note - I had to change xml to txt in order to upload here) close to achieving what you had outlined? Regardless, the performance appears now to be consistent.

Now onto the next step - how to make the motion path seamlessly flow from p1 through p2, p3, etc. ? Is it possible?
Attached Files
File Type: txt tobin5c.txt (2.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Kelly,

That looks more like what I had in mind.

To get smoother transitions from one motion function to another try starting the next motion just before the current one finishes by making the triggering tween shorter than the rest. To wit:
Code:
p2="
	pano.pan=65.43114768224969,400,smooth;
	pano.tilt=-50.71985792768215,400,smooth;
	pano.zoom=2.0608305488810386,300,smooth,p3;
"
Notice the longer tweens do not have any onComplete functions.

Also if you want to make a curved motion try something like this:
Code:
p4="
	pano.pan=14.38990546616185,1500,easyIn;
	pano.tilt=-34.44484027373377,1500,easyOut;
	pano.zoom=1.8499520852949316,1500,smooth,p5;
"
----------------------

Last edited by Scott Witte; 09-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 PM

Smile Thanks Scott!

Ahhh, the triggering tween ... funny, I keep saying it over and over in my mind with Elmer Fudd's voice playing: twiggewing tween - he he he

Excellent observations, thank you very much, particularly the dropped onComplete calls - now to put them into play in the next batch of experiments!

If you've ever done any video editing, doesn't this all seem sort of primitive?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:58 AM

Thanks to Scott Witte, I'm getting closer to defining a motion path wherein the center of view can go fluidly through specific points, but there is no clear science in sight - at least with my presently limited vision. It seems thus far from these experiments, that there is more art than science in achieving this effect. See experiments at: http://glimpsed.us/MotionPath

In the example, the first 9 positions (successively called one after the other) ascending from nearly nadir to nearly zenith behave spastically in little fits and spurts - this despite fiddling at length, but to no avail - with the easyIn and easyOut transition effects and varying the times for pano.pan, pano.tilt and pano.zoom with an advanced triggering tween. How best to smoothly transition through these targeted points is still illusive to me.

The last 7 positions (again, successively called one after the other) becomes less spastic as the distance between the defined points increases; thus, trading path precision for fluidity. In this experiment, the path is visually less critical.

Last edited by kbellis; 09-28-2010 at 03:09 AM.