Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Those lines are for the preloader, a brilliant FFC invention in my opinion. If you watch the activity log in Safari you will see the tour loading each pano into your cache before you navigate to the next one. So when you do the loading should be somewhat instantaneous. Those bottom lines of code simply tell the preloader the order you want it to preload the panos.

I have not seen any useless code in my FFC projects. Maybe you can give me an example of what you mean by useless code?

-Terry
Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

@EnochTwig

The transparency issues you are having, my guess would be that you are seeing things caused by the new transparent pixel detection which is on by default in the new hotspots.swf (this is my guess, based on your post mentioning transparency issues).

Performance has absolutely increased, and hotspots.swf is as streamlined as it can get code-wise. Everything that could get optimized, got optimized.

Time is also on time... no more guessworks needed, or making something that looks to be 3 second transition in your development, only to turn out to be 30 second transition on a slow netbook or some old machine.

@Freddy (Discocandy)

Many thanks for the videos. Those are helpful in showing time-savings.... First video... you should have used the onscreen move-tool rather than the numeric stepper for moving the graphic... that would have saved you around 25 seconds additionally.
In the second video at 1 minute mark, you started defining transition times... with the value 1200 ms. Also there you could have clicked the top entry, pressed the SHIFT key on your keyboard and clicked the mouse on the bottom entry in the recorded function. This would have selected all, and then you would only have had to type in 1200 once. Shaving off 20 seconds from this video.

When I asked you about how long it would take you to make the second video example through hand coding, with aligning components and get all working correctly, you implied 30 minutes... but that other hand coders might do it faster. Making it with FFC is one minute, and you are just starting to use FFC. Not bad.

You clearly know WHAT to post in videos, since you know the hand coder world, and what takes time. I still have no clue as to what does, and what doesn't impress on time saving fronts in the hand coder camp. If I knew, I would surely have convinced every hand coder on planet panorama to use FFC a long time ago

@ Clueless

You are right, there are only so many (few) hours in any given day, and for the past 6 months I have been out of time on all fronts. Probably I am forgetting too often that other people are running on the same time plan as I am... and for me to assume that people have no will to do testing, is probably just plain wrong to do.... caused by lack of time, lack of testing (which is absolutely essential in order to move further onwards) and also lack of responses. This mix of everything that is missing... is frustrating, after all I have put my life on the line for this to be done in the best possible way, with what little resources I have had at my disposal. When the only thing that seemingly turns up is: "nothing of interest... time to move on"... it does hit where it hurts.
When people say they want the flexibility of hand coding, I think it is simply based on plain ignorance. FFC is no different from FPP... basically.... it is the same engine it is using, the same basic plugins, the same things that need to be done. Only major difference is that FFC can be used to do things in seconds and minutes and hours, rather than in minutes and hours (weeks and months). The flexibility that comes from that, is that hand coders who use it for building their tours, will gain enormous amounts of time, they can use for fine tuning things with hand code... be that adding java scripts, enhancing html pages, php scripts or to make new plugins. That is flexibility that is worth a lot, and which will not be gained by using hand code alone.

@ Roger Berry (Cameleer)

The snippet you have there, is from the preloader plugin which is built into FFC. With it the user can decide which cubeface is first preloaded, how many faces are loaded simultaneously and therefore all the cubefaces are listed.
FFC uses as little and clean a code as possible in most cases, so there should not be much trash code in the xml. There is some... relating to the logoMeter plugin... but it is a couple of lines that are in every xml file, which become useful when the logoMeter plugin is used. And there is also a default folder added to every project, marked picMenu... even if picMenu is not a part of the project. These are minor things, easily deleted manually if one doesn't like the extra bits and bytes.

With the new F11 engine, then yes, it will be the end of the current FPP engine. F11 is so essentially different from previous versions, that there is no way to get FPP built up in the same way based on F11. The same issue is most likely going to hit other Flash based panorama players... if not, then it will be a mis-match and a huge headache to get everything connected and properly working. I am being told that the best way forward is to wrap things up and start all over again. That is the very same thing Denis was considering when he was working on version 2.4 of FPP. The problems were simply too many and caused a lot of things that had to get "workarounds" rather than real solutions. ... still, that was in relation to the existing F10 platform. The cause of this was the framework on which FPP was built. It was not geared for "everything", while it was geared for almost everything could be done through "workarounds".

When the time for the change comes, I hope that we will have a translation application available, that can convert existing FPP projects from today, into fully functional projects with the new engine. Only time will tell if that will become possible or not. Can't really tell what will be possible before it has been attempted.

Is this the end of FPP, or a new beginning? I am sure it can be answered with a "yes" from both ends oft that question, and in both cases the answer would be equally valid.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to discocandy Send a message via Skype™ to discocandy

maybe 30 minutes was a little to much for it. but 15 for sure.
most of the handcodes use standard pieces of code they alter for their use.
When you asked me, I was thinking about writing it from scratch. That would take me 30 minutes for sure.
I am still very slow with flashificator.. it is onyl the 3th time I tried something serious with it.

It shows how fast it could work for coders.
Sure not all is possible with it but then the handcoder kicks in and still it would save met lot's of minutes!

About waste code.
Yes there is.
one hotspot called delete me as you want. (but you can delete it in FFC)
And when you use the dashboard you must add the standard dashboard first to get the right functions.
That is a code waste and already talked about it with trausti.
You could install a injector to inject functions inside the function tab.
Now you can also.
but bulky.
you need to write down a piece of code copy it (Ctrl+C) and paste it inside the function tab. It works but still a little bulky to my taste.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

The "deletemeifyouwant" hotspot is not "really" trash. It is the ignition for hotspots.swf to be active from the start of the program, thereby saving a couple of clicks/reloads. This hotspot can be renamed and assigned an image and functions... and thereby become useful, or, if another hotspot is created, there will be no more need for "deletemeifyouwant" hotspot to be present in the project any longer.

The copy/paste of functions is possible, but not as flexible as it could be. For non-hand-ckders it has seemingly been good enough, since no one has ever requested more flexibility until you mention it now. Expect a better option for functions creation (from copying existing hand-code) which again can be pasted directly into the functions list, and not into existing functions as it is now.

As an example: You have a list of 20 functions, you can copy them all in one go and paste into the functions list. Each individual function would be displayed in the functions list, and from there, you will be able to assign each function to one or more hotspots.

This will however introduce a wide open gate for errors... for example if you copy a function like this one:

toggleAutorotator="
external.autorotator.disabled+=1;
pano.pan_v=0;
pano.tilt_v=0;
pano.zoom_v=0;

and you don't have an autorotator or a toggle button for it in the project, you would be introducing an error.... same if you'd copy a function that describes how a loadPano should behave, naming a pano that does not exist in the project. Such things we have done our best to keep away from people... so that they won't come back complaining over something not working... when they have hand-edited the code and introduced bugs and errors.

Also... be aware that the version you have now (2.078... and I think 2.077 too) allows you to hover the mouse over a function in the functions list, press CTRL+C for copying the function, and use CTRL+V to paste it somewhere else.

Things can always be improved, and with the users outlining their wishes for new or improved things... things can and will be improved. No reports, no pointing out bugs or errors or lack of features... then it is very difficult to please everyone.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to discocandy Send a message via Skype™ to discocandy

Quote:
The "deletemeifyouwant" hotspot is not "really" trash. It is the ignition for hotspots.swf to be active from the start of the program, thereby saving a couple of clicks/reloads.
True. maybe wrong use of words here from my side.