Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

It would be so easy..... if only people would ask Apple to permit Flash on the iDevices. Nothing more would be needed... no jumping through loops or people arguing. Things would simply work.

But unfortunately Apple is not interested in listening to anyone but Steve Jobs, and people are too stupid to rise up and demand full web compatibility of their iDevices... or simply not purchase those unless the issues are fixed.

It is not that these devices CAN'T display Flash... it is simply a roadblock put there by Steve. Removing the roadblock would be a very simple thing to do. No innovation needed, no extra costs. People could still opt out of using Flash.

How about that solution? Talk to Apple and have them listen?

Only if they are Big Brother incorporated, will they NOT listen. Even Adobe listens and reacts to user base requests. So do most other serious companies, no matter their size.

Companies like Apple need a lesson in customer service. Only it's customers can give that lesson.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorH View Post
The "KR" thing is the only solution -I know of- that lets you create compatible vTOURS (not only single panorama images) without any extra work. If you can name some other alternatives, please do.
I could name at least one, but thats not the place to do so. A simple google search and reading the software specifications info would be enough for you to find it. That reminds me when we used to make our tours both in java and flash, and it was impossible not to create them individually, unless for single or very simplified tours. Eg what will happen to your google map plugin (or any other plugin, except sound maybe) when u ll export to webkit? wont you need to modify your project there?
Minos
Old 07-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Downloads: 0

^^ with KRPano you can handle this. I hope that the Html thing makes more progress so we can stop building different tours for different devices in different ways. That simply sucks.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Administrator

More of the "new standards" now on display:

http://www.extremetech.com/internet/...me-music-video

It is simply idiotic how these leading companies are treating the users who need ONE standard, and not one THOUSAND double standards. Online content should be viewable by everyone at all times... and not only if they have the following (or another) combination: Apple browser, Soundblaster speakers and Kingston RAM....

Those who make browsers, should make them so that they comply with accepted standards. Be that MS, Apple, Mozilla, Google or others. If they don't, they should be blacklisted. This example by Google is clearly not adhering to accepted standards... or it would play on other browsers as well. I like Chrome and have been moving more and more towards it (away from FF that crashes way too much and causes other problems since it upgraded from 3.6 to 4 and 5, but I will not endorse this kind of "standard".
Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trausti Hraunfjord View Post
More of the "new standards" now on display:
Sadly this has been going on since the days of DOS.

Anyway, here's a question for everyone...

In the interest of hanging onto me beloved FPP and making iThingy support happen as inexpensively as possible, I'm thinking of using VR5 for rendering on iStuff.

The challenge is that all my panos are .MOV files from PTGUI and VR5 wants a standard 6-piece set of cube faces. Two sets, actually, in different resolutions. For me this means digging out the .PTS files and generating two sets of cube faces. OK, but in the cases of panos where the .PTS files were either not saved (yes, I can be that stupid) or simply misplaced, I'm thinking about a possible easier way out. Are there any easy tools for decompiling a QTVR .MOV into cube faces?

So far all I've found is the QTparser PHP script with some mods to allow it to write JPGs but that means setting up a dev server with PHP, ISAPI Rewrite, etc. Not horribly painful but not particularly simple either.

Or is there yet a more straightforward solution I haven't found yet?

Oh, and MARK, et al, any advice for making a pano page even lightly platform agnostic, i.e. displaying VR5 code for iStuff and FPP code for the rest, would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Administrator

To convert .mov to cubefaces, you should be able to use Pano2VR.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trausti Hraunfjord View Post
To convert .mov to cubefaces, you should be able to use Pano2VR.
Thanks Trausti, that looks like it's right on the money.

And I'm not kidding with my choice of idiom. At times like this I find myself wishing the Dollar and the Euro were a bit closer to each other...
Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Money spent on useful tools, are money well spent.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM

U need PANO2QTVR, which is free http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2qtvr.php
VirtualGuide,NGo

http://www.virtualguide.sk
Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualguide View Post
U need PANO2QTVR, which is free http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2qtvr.php
Thanks for chiming in with that. Why PANO2QTVR instead of PANO2VR? The product's web page makes it look as if .MOV is only supported as output, not input format. Or do I conclude incorrectly?

FYI the web site says it is no longer directly available and you have to email them to buy a key, but v1.6.6 can still be downloaded from CNET.

PANO2VR does look to be a very useful product. It looks like it will also give me more control over cube face output than does PTGUI. As well, PANO2VR can help me do things like nadir patching, which even after all these years of development seems unnecessarily difficult to do on PTGUI, resulting in many panos which make my choice of tripod rather obvious.