Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 10-04-2007, 07:22 AM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Whirling Hotspots!

Denis,

Often, when a hotspot is near the edge of the screen, possibly extending beyond the edge, clicking it causes pano.pan to spin almost 360 degrees rather than move just a little to center the spot in the screen.

To experience what I mean go to my Eisner Museum demo site. Move to Reception. Now place either the Entrance or Lower Gallery hotspots near the screen edge. Click and "enjoy" the ride. I've been telling folks, "It's a feature, not a bug!" but that is starting to wear thin ad it's driving me nuts trying to find a solution!

The code for the entrance hotspot:
Code:
        <spot id="Rec_Ent" url="Images/hs_Entrance.png" linked="Images/Reception" pan="-137" tilt="-8" scale="0.3" alpha="0" onOver="alpha=1" onOut="alpha=0"
		onClick="pano.qualityStatic=low;pano.pan_v=0;tilt_v=0;pano.pan= -138.00,600;pano.tilt= -5.00,600;pano.zoom=1.5,1000,,move2"
		move2="loadPano(?panoName=Images/Entrance&panHome=80,600,fade);pano.qualityStatic=best"  />
And for the Lower Gallery:
Code:
		<spot id="Rec_L_Gall" url="Images/hs_L_Gall.png" linked="Images/Reception" pan="160.00" scale="0.3" alpha="0" onOver="alpha=1" onOut="alpha=0"
		onClick="pano.qualityStatic=low;pano.pan_v=0;tilt_v=0;pano.pan=156.00,600;pano.tilt=0.00,600;pano.zoom=1.5,1000,,move2"
		move2="loadPano(?panoName=Images/L_Gall&panHome=100,600,fade);global.onTransitionEnd=RecMove1"  />
All told, this happens in about a fifth of the hotspots.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node
Old 10-04-2007, 09:52 PM

Hey Scott:

Are about a fifth of your hotspots placed at negative pan values and/or going to negative pan values?

Try making all your pan values positive, and give it a (ahem) whirl.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheathamlane View Post
Try making all your pan values positive, and give it a (ahem) whirl.
Patrick,

I so wanted that to work if only for the clever turn of phrase!

Alas, if you check the code snippets I included you will see that one has positive pan values and the other negative. The only difference is that the one with negative values (to the Entrance) does the spin with the hotspot on the right side of the screen. The positive value Lower Gallery spins when placed on the left edge.

You may also notice that the pano.pan target and the pan position of the hotspot weren't exactly the same. So I changed them to exactly match with no difference in outcome.

But... I bet there is some reason, some past experience that caused you to suggest this solution. If you could share that it might lead to the discover of some other commonality.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:24 AM

yes, i see, there's the same problem with box objects (like the pics in Denis office demo) when we try to make them clickable.

Any suggestion Denis?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:52 AM

Huh, weird... I haven't experienced these issues (and can't really replicate them when visiting your site, Scott).

The only time I had an issue with "wild whirling" was when I had a hotspot placed at a negative value, which initiated movement to a negative pan value. Simply setting the pan first to the current pan (that is, "360 - current pan" to create a positive pan value), THEN initiating movement did the trick.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Site admin

It works correctly in respect to math. If you have current pano.pan=-170 and a point on 170, the closest path in numbers is 340 degrees. Panorama has no idea that you need the closest way on the sphere surface. I need to add some new functionaly.
Maybe: "pano.panClose=170"? How do you like it? I can add it to 2.2.1 (bug fixing).
Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Maybe: "pano.panClose=170"? How do you like it? I can add it to 2.2.1 (bug fixing).
I would say, "whatever works as quickly as possible." I have a very annoyed client.

However, I REALLY think you should make "shortest path" the default for pano.pan. Getting that 340 degree swing is essentially unpredictable and entirely dependent on the viewer's screen position even then. So, any designer who wanted to take the long way couldn't count on pano.pan doing it anyway. Therefor the current, unpredictable behavior is of no advantage to anyone.

Thinking about it, maybe a pano.panLong would be a better solution for those rare times you wanted the longest path.
----------------------
Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Hmmm... I'd maybe just add a parameter "direction", and have it default to "shortestPath", with an option to change it to "longWayAround". I think adding another parameter with "pan" at the beginning is going to get confusing.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Site admin

OK. Sounds good. But "shortestPath" and "longWayAround" can't describe all possibilities, what if I need to make one turnover around sphere (or even two). Now I can set pan+=360 (pan+=720).
Old 11-16-2007, 12:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ricardo Send a message via Skype™ to Ricardo
Default someone to write this code?

Hi guys,

It should be work fine if you could write on code that do the following:

var_x = current pano pan
var_y = current hotspot pan
var_z = |var_x-var_y| in other words, module(var_x-var_y). var_Z will be positive, ever.

if (var_z<180)
{
you can go to var_y, it is the shortest way to the hotspot;
}
else
{
if (var_y>0)
{
set the new hotspot pan value to -1*(360-var_y);
}
else
{
set the new hotspot pan value to (360-var_y);
}
}

I hope you can write this code and share!

Regards,

Ricardo