Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 AM

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheathamlane View Post
This doesn't really help the issue of being able to use conditionals from within FPP's XML... but your above thinking does work from within a Plugin for FPP.
Hey Patrick,

hmm -- I'm not into coding too much So my question: Could that code you've written in your post be compiled as a SWF and then used as a plugin in FPP? (Because, as far as I know, I can't use these conditions like IF, ELSE etc. in the FPP-xml, right?) If so -- how could it be adressed (parameters)? Sorry, these questions are likely stupid, but I really don't know anything about Action Script and so on... I just would strongly need to solve this whirling problem, since my actual project suffers from it and the client won't like that whirling (and so do I)

Regards, Ph.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 PM

... No one?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Downloads: 0

I have never been able to reliably replicate the "whirling hotspots" issue that has affected other folks, so wouldn't quite know where to start.

I am working on an "auto horizon" plugin right now, which might (or might not) be able to be used to get around the issue (I'm not sure yet).

In any case, making a generic plugin to work around this unreliable issue would be difficult.

--
One thing that would help is seeing a link to an example of the WH issue; it may be that simply adding something to or changing something in the XML could fix things.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I have never been able to reliably replicate the "whirling hotspots" issue that has affected other folks, so wouldn't quite know where to start.
I have hotspots that show a picture when being clicked on; additionally, and this is the problem here, every hotspot fires a setting of pan- and tilt-settings, so that the pano positions that specific hotspot in its center.

The "whirling" happens, if you have define a hotspot that is positioned beyond "pan = 180" to the right (so it has something like pan = -179, if it is just a little bit more to the right, for example) and click on it while the actual pan value is positive (so the pano's pan position is left of that hotspot): Instead of taking the "short way", the pano gets turned around almost the whole radius: It turns counterclockwise (180 --> 90 --> 0 --> -xxx). The same happens the other way round (hotspot with positive pan value, clicked while actual pan is negative: pano turns clockwise instead the shorter way counterclockwise).

Basically, FPP doesn't seem to pan beyond pan = 180 towards pan = -179 or the other way round; to avoid the whirling, some function or plugin would be needed that would choose the shorter way (either clockwise or counterclockwise) between actual pan position and target pan position, crossing the 180/-179 boundary.

So the solution could simply be something like (sorry, I have no coding skills, but hopefully the idea still is understandable):

Code:
actualPanoPanValue = %position_right_now%
theHotspot'sPanValue = %value_to_pan_to%

IF %position_right_now% = positive AND %value_to_pan_to% = positive 
OR %position_right_now% = negative AND %value_to_pan_to% = negative 
THEN 
{ fire hotspotFunction }

IF %position_right_now% = positive AND %value_to_pan_to% = negative THEN 
{ pan to 180;
   set pano.pan = -179 without transition time;
   fire hotspotFunction }

IF %position_right_now% = negative AND %value_to_pan_to% = positive THEN 
{ pan to -179;
   set pano.pan = 180 without transition time;
   fire hotspotFunction }
As you can see, I have neither ActionScript coding skills, nor do I know how to make an SWF that can be called via FPP or at least how to compile code to make it an SWF... Yet I think this should be rather simple to code (if you know how to code, of course, haha)?

Or, to put it in other words: A function would be needed that would compare the actual pan position with the hotspot's target pan position (see above) and would pan the pano to the very border of the specific (positive or negative) pan range and set pano.pan to the first (negative or positive) pan value of the other range before firing the hotspot-pan-action: This way, the whirling could be avoided.

Quote:
I am working on an "auto horizon" plugin right now, which might (or might not) be able to be used to get around the issue (I'm not sure yet).

In any case, making a generic plugin to work around this unreliable issue would be difficult.

One thing that would help is seeing a link to an example of the WH issue; it may be that simply adding something to or changing something in the XML could fix things.
The problem is: I am not allowed to put the pano online in public, the client denies it. (It's gonna be only on a CD that will be given to customers by that client). The only thing I could do is to show the XML, but the only thing you could see from that is:

-- a number of hotspots, that do the things like described above
-- some of them with positive, others with negative pan values (it's a pano of a gallery room with paintings throughout the full 360 degrees).

Hhm, maybe I should learn ActionScript (haha) and do it myself

Best regards,
Philipp
Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phberlin View Post
Or, to put it in other words: A function would be needed that would compare the actual pan position with the hotspot's target pan position (see above) and would pan the pano to the very border of the specific (positive or negative) pan range and set pano.pan to the first (negative or positive) pan value of the other range before firing the hotspot-pan-action: This way, the whirling could be avoided.
Well, the code I posted previously handles this issue, then, just fine. For your specific use, though, you'll need to have a custom plugin made which handles your specific issue (and includes my code above, or similar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phberlin View Post
Hhm, maybe I should learn ActionScript (haha) and do it myself
...or (and not to sound snarky here) since this is for a client, find and hire someone to help out with the ActionScripting.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Well, the code I posted previously handles this issue, then, just fine. For your specific use, though, you'll need to have a custom plugin made which handles your specific issue (and includes my code above, or similar).
Hhm, OK; still I don't know how to compile and don't know how to use its variables from within FPP xml (somehow via pano.external.[pluginname].xxx?). Whatever, I'll try to figure it out if I can manage to. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
...or (and not to sound snarky here) since this is for a client, find and hire someone to help out with the ActionScripting.
I'd like to do so, but the budget is already closed: No more money, so I'd have to pay it for myself. (The client didn't complain about that phenomenon yet, and don't don't if he ever will. It's more a question of my personal dissatisfaction, being unable to solve this -- since it might occur again and again with every project...

Regards, Philipp
Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 AM

Hey Philipp:

There's an example FLA of using one hotspot to "watch" and/or interact with another; I forget where jaaaab's post is but you can find it here:

http://www.flashpanos.com/content/ro...age-bottom-cap

--
Using this method you could avoid the headache of a full-on plugin, and probably accomplish what you need. The above code I posted, based on Ricardo's pseudocode, could be worked in.

Basically, the idea is that SPOT A would watch SPOT B; When SPOT B is clicked, SPOT A handles checking the current pan angle, and then sending the panorama to the new pan angle.

Cheers,
Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 AM

Thanks, Patrick -- I'll have a closer look at it and see if I can make something out of it despite my limited coding skills :-) So again, thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Philipp

Last edited by phberlin; 03-07-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:21 AM

I have an obvious interest in the subject having started the thread And I know it can be solved either with a plugin and/or hotspot swf based on the code and pseudo code presented. I may tackle it but I've been reluctant consider that Denis has said he will fix it in the next release, scheduled for the end of 2007. Well, we all know how target dates can slip

Is it really worth a day of programming if Denis releases the new version a week later? No. But maybe a month, surely three month? I wish we knew.

Oh, regarding Igor's (Virtualguide) suggestion of using the limits plugin: Good idea but the pano just gets stuck at the limit instead of saying, "Hey. I can't go that way. I will just go the other direction." ... if... a plugin could talk, that is....
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node

Last edited by Scott Witte; 03-09-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Scott: It would be absolutely great if you could do this. On the other hand, I totally understand that you don't want to spend that lot of time if there was a release a few days later fixing this. So I emailed Denis to ask him about this (e.g. when the next release can be expected and whether it's worth the trouble fixing this problem before the release). Don't know if he's reading his mails and if he's going to answer. If so, I'll post it here.

Regards, Ph.