Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 10-08-2007, 09:02 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default View examples locally?

I don't know if I'm being a bit stupid and am missing something obvious, but I cannot view the examples (FPP2.2) on my machine. I tried through localhost (WAMP), but this doesn't work either. I do not have any browser (Firefox up-to date) restrictions in place, and the only privacy settings I can find for flash player are for the camera and microphone.

Any suggestions muchly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Question Same here, but on a Mac

I am having the same problem here. Some of the examples will not work locally, while others load just fine. When it tries to load the images, I get a "Loading:failed" on cubeqtvr.html, partial.html, preview_pano.html, bw_preview_detection.html. It looks like it is about to load, I see "Loading: 0%", then it says "Loading:failed".

Examples that do load properly: navigation.html, bw_preview.html, distorted.html, controller.html, externalTest.html (after saying yes to a couple of security challenges), embedPano.html

I am not positive, but it seems that it is only the new examples that are giving a problem. If I do as it says at the top of the Examples.html:

"You can try to tune offline security restrictions of Flash Player if you have some problems with some example: right click on Flash movie -> Settings -> Privacy -> Advanced. Or try another browser."

all I see is the usual adobe flash player settings panel. It is the one that says "allow local access to your camera and microphone?" Not certain why it asks that, but I say allow and close it. The same examples still don't load.

I have tried this in Safari and Firefox on Mac OS X 10.4 with the same results. I have clicked on the "advanced" button in the control panel, but all it shows is the help screen. Nothing I try to do there seems to make any difference.

I hope maybe these particulars will allow Denis to tell us why the examples, particularly the new ones we are all interested in, won't load for us. Anyone else with an idea, please share!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 PM

If you have problems running the examples you probably have placed the new files in the wrong folders.

Open the zip file. Don't select any files. Click the Extract button. Be sure the same folder you used for v2.1 is listed in "extract to", that "All files/folder in archive" and "Use folder names" are selected. Press extract and answer, "Yes to all" in the Confirm File Overwrite dialog. (This example from the Winzip interface but any other program will be similar.)

That should work.
----------------------
Auto Quality Plugin: Guarantee the best FPP experience possible for every viewer on every computer.
Motion Zoom Transition Plugin: Move from Node to Node
Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 AM

Works fine in Firefox if you run the examples from a webserver on localhost, for example with a XAMPP installation.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
Old 10-09-2007, 02:21 PM

FWIW: it is definitely a "won't run locally" issue. I copied the folder for FPP to my webserver and everything runs fine there.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the help - I just needed to extract the files from the zip properly. The examples are all now working correctly using localhost.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:34 PM

I know it is a dumb question, but how do you run the files using localhost?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 PM

I've got WAMP installed - all project files are kept in the 'www' folder, so the file path for the FPP examples would be:

C:/wamp/www/FPP2.2/examples/

and the url for the browser would be:

http://localhost/FPP2.2/examples/

Denis's Flash Player settings solution works though - I had WAMP already installed as it was necessary for a previous project which made use of MySQL.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Exclamation Getting things working in localhost on a Mac

In the spirit of helping any others on a Mac having trouble figuring out where to put things to run them in localhost:

I figured out by looking at a tutorial for MAMP (although I am using XAMMP) at http://www.lullabot.com/videocast/in...server_mac_osx that I needed to copy the FPP folder (the name I gave to the FlashPanoramas folder) to:

/applications/xampp/htdocs

Then use the url:

http://localhost/FPP/Examples.htm

This is assuming that you use the default ports for the server (which you are unless you deliberately change them.)

Now everything is working as it should locally and no more "FTP madness" to check every tweak of my projects (whew!)

(sorry, but I posted this to two threads to be sure others would see it.)
Old 10-20-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks for posting this info.
So, what's the deal with having to use localhost to view these? Why do they need to be 'served' when Flash can normally handle things opened locally the normal way?
This is a bit of a PITA, frankly - a bar for users. Yep, the workaround helps, but it is one of a whole set of viewing problems I've experienced. (Right now I can view a pano of my own locally in Firefox and Flash CS3 but not Safari.)

I would appreciate some info about this from Denis, and it'd be good to see this sort of thing tackled in a FAQ entry.