Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Announcing www.flashpanos.com!

Patrick Cheatham and myself would like to extend a warm welcome to all to come and visit the plug-in, tutorial, and template project we have been working on, and to invite the community to contribute to the project. http://www.flashpanos.com

Spending as much time as we do on the forum, we have noticed that it is a great format for answering particular day-to-day questions, but it is less suited to publishing information which should be distributed universally. And so, the community now has a website to publish our tutorials, templates, and plug-ins.

We currently have a number of plug-ins available, both free and for purchase:
  • DropDown Menu v2.0 -- Super flexible dropdown (or dropup) menu for pano-to-pano navigation in an FPP presentation, by Patrick Cheatham
  • ExtensibleMeter -- Highly configurable load meter; uses custom external dynamically loaded images; custom position/alignment; custom font, size, color; can change settings on-the-fly, by Zephyr Renner
  • Cache -- Makes panorama transitions quick; eliminates loading time before the transition to new panorama; sequentially loads files from the XML into the browser cache after the first pano loads.by Zephyr Renner
  • Mouse -- A highly configurable "Mouse Over" interface so you need not click to move the panorama; an intuitive and realistic way of looking around the panorama, ideal for fullscreen panoramas. by Zephyr Renner
  • Tooltips -- Extensible version of Denis' tooltips plug-in, allows the user to change fonts, sizes, colors, transparency, etc, by Zephyr Renner

There are a number of tutorials and templates which are in the works and will be published soon.

And, I am sure members of the community will want to add their plug-ins, tutorials, or something we haven't even thought of yet, so, contact Patrick or me, and we will make it happen.

http://www.flashpanos.com

Zephyr Renner and Patrick Cheatham

Improving the panoramic one mighty fine plug-in at a time: http://www.flashpanos.com
Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 AM

Great idea if you want to make money but no thanx from me.

You talking about "There are a number of tutorials and templates which are in the works and will be published soon. "

So far I see there some plugins 10-25$ no thanx....I believe in open source.

Flash Panorama Player Current price is €39.95. You want 25$ for a plugin ? I am sure its a great plugin but......well.....Good Luck guys

Wish you all the best
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmick View Post
Great idea if you want to make money but no thanx from me.

You talking about "There are a number of tutorials and templates which are in the works and will be published soon. "

So far I see there some plugins 10-25$ ... no thanx....I believe in open source.

Flash Panorama Player Current price is ?39.95. You want 25$ for a plugin ? I am sure its a great plugin but......well.....Good Luck guys

Wish you all the best
Ouch!

Well, mickmick, we do say "coming soon". And they'll come sooner if other people pitch and help out. There is a free plugin on the site, and I'm sorry you missed it. There will be others... coming soon. We had to start somewhere!

The plugins and tutorials we put up may not be of interest to you, if you're a coder or not-so-new to Flash. But, in my experience, non-coders may find $10 to $25 a fine and reasonable price to pay for something that saves them much more than $10 to $25 in frustration.

And, it helps spur further plugin creation when there's a tangible incentive. If you're a coder, you must know that the probable volume of sales could never begin to really repay the time and effort spent in creating these plugins.

At any rate, any and all folks interested are encouraged to contribute their plugins and/or tutorials to the new flashpanos.com site -- and they can set their own prices, from $0 to the whatever they choose. The purchase links are to the contributor's own personal merchant account which they set up on their own. FlashPanos.com by itself isn't making any money, but rather providing a service... for free.

Personally, I have a long history of contributing and giving back to the developer community, and I applaud open source initiatives: but they aren't always appropriate. Check the QTVR mailing list archives, the LiveStage Pro developer forums and lists, and/or the IVRPA forums and blogs for my street cred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmick View Post
I believe in open source.
Hmmm... Did you say "no thanx" when you purchased FPP for ?39.95? Just had to put that out there...

Again, you are encouraged to contribute your own plugins and tutorials to help further knowledge about FPP. It will help "coming soon" equal "coming sooner".

Cheers,
Old 12-04-2007, 01:56 AM

mickmick: I think maybe you misunderstand the idea behind the website. It is a place to PUBLISH useful plug-ins, tutorials, templates or whatever, free OR for purchase. We mean it to be a part of the FPP community, and any community members who wish to publish things of value to the rest of the community should let us know.

And the for purchase aspect of the website is simply a recognition that if there is a marketplace for plug-ins, etc, many more developers will be interested in taking time away from the other things they do to make money, and instead turning their talents to making plug-ins for FPP, which makes the community, and the platform as a whole that much stronger.

And if you want to make some plug-ins and release them open source, we hope you will want them posted on the site also; we certainly do. And I for one will continue to be a forthcoming as always I always have been with any knowledge I have to help any members in the community building plug-ins or anything related to FPP. This truly is about making FPP the best panoramic format available, which it already is, and it still can be better.

Thank you for the best wishes, we all need them!

Cheers!

Improving the panoramic one mighty fine plug-in at a time: http://www.flashpanos.com
Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Thank you

I for one would just like to say thank you for your initiative with flashpanos.com

You guys contribute to this community and it is only fair if you make a little money on it. And if it can encourage other people to develop more plugins - then we will definately all benifit from it.
I will certinately be one of the first to download your plug-ins. I support every initiative that will help me utilize this player even more.

I look forward to seeing some of the templates you are developing

Best regards
Morten

p.s. when I buy a plug-in does it come with support if I am having difficulties figuring out how to use it? Or am I on my own?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Morten: It most certainly does come with support!

Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Well Worth It

Hey Guys,

As some one who runs a Photography/Virtual Tour business full time....here is my thought....I use Photoshop and now Flash CS3 every day...what do they cost ? I also use FPP every day...personally I would pay many times what Denis is getting for the FPP. As far as the plugins go...The guys that develop these are asking 20-25 bucks ... Most all of the plug ins offered are WAAAYYYY beyond what I am capable of developing and I am greatful for the chance to get these and get support from the people who wrote them it has saved me Hours of bangin my head and let me concentrate on my business.

I for one say THANKS GUYS !

Regards,

Dennis
Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 PM

Downloads: 2

I think you want to earn some more money! No thanks...
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM

@seeinside360: I think you also misunderstand the intention of the site.

The site is about building a stronger community around fpp. We need there to be a marketplace for items: knowledge, plug-ins, or whatever, which are of VALUE to the fpp community. Before the site, this forum was the only such marketplace, and it was not very good at being a marketplace, whereas it is great as a place to ask questions and get answers. If the only acceptable price is free, then a lot of VALUABLE items will never be made.

So the question really is: do you want to build everything yourself, or scrounge for free things? or do you want to CONSIDER paying someone else for their valuable time and effort to have done it for you.

And the answer SHOULD be obvious: presumably you paid Denis for FPP in the first place, and probably you paid Adobe for photoshop, and maybe for PTGUI, and you definitely paid a company for the camera you take your pictures with, and you certainly paid for the computer you process them with. You are strengthening those communities by persuading people to contribute their time to them in exchange for your money. And I would hope you would consider strengthening our fpp community in the same way.

And on a final note, there are a number of items on the site that are free right now, and I personally have a few more free items in the works (the thing is working for money trumps working for free, and so it takes a while longer to produce free items of any value...)

So, to anyone who thinks the site is only about money, and says, "no thanks", I would like to ask you why you say, "no thanks" to it but say "yes please" to fpp, and to everything else you buy....

DMCDigital: I am glad to hear the site gets your seal of approval!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 PM

I think it is a great sevice and I intend to support it.
This is the future for me. I cannot find excitment
working on flat static websites anymore.