Forums  

Go Back   Forums > Talk > General FPP Discussion

Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Thought

If there is something you want but can't (or won't) create it yourself then you should consider yourself lucky that Zephyr and Patrick are taking the time to offer their support, ideas and tools in the first place. They are the one's listening to suggestions, making things, improving things and trying to enhance the possibilities of this technology.

Last edited by Jason Villmer; 12-06-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 PM

Seems that my words have been too harsh, targeting the wrong person.
Sorry! Please accept my apologies, Patrick!
Maybe you got me very frustrated, struggling with my limited fpp-xml knowledge, at the time of your announcement.
(those, who might know me from various forums and lists, know that's not my normal tone of voice)

Please, let me clarify:

From the very first time I tried FPP I' m convinced of it's quality. I bought a licence quite early (before FPP supported stripes) and consequently use it at my site.
I repeatedly brought it to attention of my collegues in the german panorama-community forum.
(and therefore, for me it's logic and fair to point to your site, too)

On the other hand I'm very disapointed that, untill now, without a lot of investigation (reading blog, forum, example-xmls) and good programer-skills,
it's hardly possible to set up even the basics for just one node, like initial pan, FOV, Controller yes or no, autorotation ...
Even installing the editor-plugin isn't easy as said.
Untill now I couldn't detect why, in my case (don't use swfobjects but Deval Script), only vers. 1.1 works properly.
Vers. 2.2 simply isn't operable.

Well, exactely when I was sitting there, having lost hours again, thinking how nice it would be to have something like a simple "starter-kit"...
... Something, which provides everything for "daily use" for "normal" users.
...Which comes with a simple Gui, just for the basics (initial values, simple hotspots, controller, autorote); maybe similar to Thomas' Gui.....

.... you guys came across, declaring your new "Pro-Shop" open. Bang!
And, though you declare the site as source for everybody, there's nothing to find for FPP-beginners.

Reading the last Gui-Thread (which I started) I noticed a clear tendency.
The pros would like to keep things complicated.
What I see is, that some of the pros want to force users to outsource theire work, to pay for help, even for basic xml-programming.
Therefore FPP logically has to stay a profesional tool.
I almost can hear some of you shouting:
"What? You want to use FPP but you are not willing to go through a 3-month university-education-course? Well......."

Don't get me wrong.
I do accept commercial software and admire profesional work. I'm willing to pay for an extra. I don't want to discuss prices.
I'm willing to pay for a profesional plugin when I really need it.
I did so (photoshop actions and plugins e.g.), will do and will continue donating for freeware, when I frequently use it.

But:
I think, making FPP useable for more people is more important and the way to go; the way to spread FPP.
A good, huge basis of installed FPPs will naturally generate a growing demand for more sophisticated plugins, spinning hotspots and more eyecatching tour abilities.
There will be a market for those add-ons. And there will be enough work for the more experianced, profesional tour-creators.....
Better documentation, Gui, etc..... is what we need first.
I believe flash is the future, regarding pano-presentation; and FPP is likely the best tool at the moment.
It easiliy could become quasi-standard.
But again: How can we support spreading FPP when there are still these limitations for beginners?
My personal feeling is: actually there is almost nobody interested in making FPP an everybodys-tool.
Maybe the rest of the world has to wait a bit, untill the pros and flashers became tired to play with their new toy?
I know, that's not true. But the feeling stays...

Taking up my first words.. (wrong person):
I should better address my wishes to Denis, who is "real good keeping quiet" (as you mentioned before, Patrick).
And again: Please accept my apologies.
Regards,
Klaus
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Smile I know I said I wouldn't post here again, but... :)

Klaus:

Thanks for your more reasonable and thought out reply. I appreciate it -- and no apologies are necessary.

Friends?

Everything you mention are the exact reasons for this "official" Flash Panorama Player forum to exist, and also the reason Zephyr and I spearheaded flashpanos.com.

We invite everyone interested in contributing something to please do so!

Today I just posted a small code example, with explanation, which I think can be helpful. The more things like this (and also "bigger" examples which are more like tutorials) the better!

Code example
Old 12-06-2007, 09:20 PM

Default What a great idea!

I saw this post a few days ago, before there were any comments. When I came back today, I couldn't believe the anger it generated! I think the new site is a great idea, and I applaud Zephyr and Patrick for putting it together. They are under absolutely no obligation to anyone to spend their time creating plug-ins and posting them free of charge. Frankly, I'm surprised that anyone had the nerve to say that they should. If you don't think their plug-ins are worth what they are charging, then don't buy them! That is the beauty of a free market--you can decide what to do with your money.

A lot of hard work goes into programming the plug-ins, and I doubt they will even come close to being fully compensated for the time they spend creating them. Meanwhile, they probably spend hours each day on this forum answering people's questions, no matter how "stupid". If I have a need for one of their plug-ins, I will most certainly buy it, if for no other reason than to encourage them to create more. Like it or not, money drives innovation. Zephyr and Patrick: Good luck with the site, and I may even try to contribute a plug-in or two if I have the time.

Amanda
Old 12-07-2007, 12:57 AM

Amanda: Please do contribute a plugin! or two! or a tutorial!

Improving the panoramic one mighty fine plug-in at a time: http://www.flashpanos.com
Old 12-07-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleifr View Post
I would like to thank everyone for the feedback. Good, bad, or ugly.... sincerely.

Sam Rohn, and PauloGGPX, I don't know how exactly a restricted, hobby-ist version of the plug-in would work, but I am certainly open to the concept. How do you envision that working? what restrictions etc?
Hi zleifr

I do panoramas as a hobby and as a profession my suggestion was just that, a suggestion

Hmm ways to restrict, let me see... maybe reduce the number of parameters that one can change? Add a link to your site in the right click menu? For instance in the Drop Down menu, limit the number of options shown?

Either way the only thing that I ask is that you and cheathamlane keep the great work
My Random Blog
FPP:ContextMenu plugin add your own brand safely
Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

After having had a look at what your panos can do, I am truly amazed. Paying for a product is well worth it if the product does what it promises and if those promises live up to one's own expectations (or exceed them). Plugins for commercial use should of course be paid for (out of my pocket as well). I'm not going to give my panorama work just because I am a bleeding heart communist/anarchist... I need to feed my kids and wife and even my car... so I fully understand the need for the devellopers to request a fee for their work.

That being said, I have a few concerns about the FPP product before ever having used it. It sounds as if it is not very user friendly (unless said user is a coding master of some kind... and I'm not at all).... my 13yo son is very much into coding and programming and could probably do all the setup work for my photos if it is too complicated/time consuming for me.

In relation to that, I would like to ask the following question: Once I have bought the program (which I will do) can it be installed on 2 seperate computers (mine and my son's) or would it work on one puter only?

I am absolutely sure that if there would be a fully functional graphical user interface for the program, where literally everything could be done by novices like me (who are too time limited or lazy or otherwise occupied with life to learn new coding tricks) FPP would without a doubt bust all competition away, and would stand up as THE pano software to be used.

Everyone who CAN help FPP to become truly GUI'ed for normal know-nothing users like myself, should put all their energy into that to happen, since that WOULD get the program into a leading position world wide. The price for the program at the moment is very moderate, and it would not be a problem in my view, if it tripled ... given it didn't require me to become a pro-coder.

Please, respond to my above question (one or two puter install), since that will be the answer deciding whether I buy the program now or later.

Thank you in advance....

Last edited by Trausti Hraunfjord; 12-07-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 PM

You can use it on any number of computers.

Improving the panoramic one mighty fine plug-in at a time: http://www.flashpanos.com
Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 PM

This is from the license.txt file I have with my install, dated October 2007 -- it may be superseded, of course, by newer versions of FPP or an updated license from Denis. I provide this as just an FYI.

Quote:
2. Once purchased, the user is granted a non-exclusive license to use Flash
Panorama Player on one computer (single or multiple cpu), for any legal
purpose. If you need to use Flash Panorama Player on multiple computers
(home computer and your work computer, for example), please select the
correct quantity according to the number of computers.
The resulting panorama application can be used for any number of domains
or devices without restrictions (royalty free distribution).
Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Downloads: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Trausti Hraunfjord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleifr View Post
You can use it on any number of computers.
Great. Thanks for the reply.

I already feel better... but I was so impressed by the possibilities of this software, that I already ordered it 2 hours ago... the order hasn't been processed though, so I'm still looking forward to trying things out (with the help of my son if need be).